Yield: one 14 cm round cake
When all sugar has been well incorporated into the egg white, return the mixer speed to medium high. Beat the egg white till firm peaks formed, or it can form a curve-down tip when lifted up.
Finally, use a spatula to scrap the side and bottom, to ensure no unmixed flour or liquid settle there.
When the top of the cake surface rises from concave to convex, it's time to lower the temperature .
All ingredients in room temperature
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp lemon juice
30g fine sugar
2 egg yolks
60~70g ripen banana, mashed
25g dark brown sugar
10g unsalted butter
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
75g top flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 小匙 柠檬汁
1/4 小匙 香草精
1/4 小匙 泡打粉
1/8 小匙 小苏打粉
1. Line a 14 cm round cake tin with parchment paper.
2. Mashed banana in a bowl. Cover and set aside.
3. Place milk, dark brown sugar, butter and vanilla essence in a bowl. Keep warm the mixture in a rice cooker for 10 minutes, and let it remains in the rice cooker for another 10 minutes to melt the butter.
Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before use.
4. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
5. Beat egg white in a clean and dry mixing bowl for a few seconds, and add in the lemon juice. Continue to beat for about 1/2 minute at medium high speed till frothy. Lower the mixer speed to add in the sugar.
6. Add in egg yolk, one at a time to the egg white.
8. Sieve in 1/3 of the flour mixture from (4), and stir briefly to mix. Stop mixing even when only a few streaks of flour can be seen.Over mixing will result in a tougher cake.
9. Add in the 1/2 of the milk mixture from (3).
Add in the remaining flour and milk in alternating sequence, in the pattern of
10. Pour the batter into the lined cake tin. Lightly bang the cake tin to remove trapped air from the batter.
11. Prepare a pot with some boiling water and a steamer rack.
12. Steam the cake batter at medium high heat for 9 to 10 minutes, and medium low heat for about 8 to 9 minutes. Test the readiness of the cake using a thin stick.
13. Immediately after removing the cake from the pot, drop the cake from a height of about 10cm onto a table cloth. This will prevent the cake from shrinking during cooling down.
14. Allow the cake to cool in the cake tin for 5 minutes before removing the tin to cool completely.
14. Cut the cake and serve :)