An easy to prepare sweet and spicy egg dish making use of rice cooker to hard-boil the eggs; and bottled Mee Siam paste to prepare the sauce.
100ml water for steaming the eggs
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp Singapore Mee Siam Paste
1 tbsp water
1 tomato, cut into wedges
1. If you are using room temperature egg, you can go straight to step 3.
If you are using fridge-cold eggs, put the eggs in a heat resistant bowl, then pour in about 100ml water.
2. Place the bowl of eggs into a rice cooker, and turn on the "keep warm" mode for 10 minutes. After turning off the "keep warm" mode, let the eggs stay in the rice cooker for 5 minutes.
This is to prevent the eggs from cracking during steaming.
3. Pour the water from the bowl into the inner pot of the rice cooker.
4. Start the "Quick Cook" function or "Cook Rice" function.
5. After the rice cooker "beep", remove the bowl of eggs from the rice cooker, and submerge the eggs in tap water.
6. Remove the egg shell. Set aside.
The egg shell is very easy to remove when you use rice cooker to prepare hard boiled egg :)
8. Add in a tbsp of raw sugar and 1/4 tsp light soya sauce, heat till the mixture bubbles.
9. Add in 1 tbsp Mee Siam paste and stir-fry for about 1 minute till the gravy thicken. You may add a tbsp of water if the gravy becomes too dry.
10. Stir in the tomato wedges and cook till they slightly softened.
11. Add in the hard boiled eggs, stir carefully to coat.
12. Garnish with coriander leaf and serve with warm rice :)