A delicious sweet loaf combining both bread and spongecake together. The slice was good enough to eat without any bread spread. Bread baked in breadmaker tends to be drier due to a longer baking time. In this recipe, the sponge cake helped to keep the loaf moist after baking. The bread even remained soft and moist till the next day.
The only hurdle in the recipe was finding the right time to prepare and pour the spongecake over the bread dough in the midst of proofing. I was lucky to succeed in my second attempt. My first bake rose to a dangerous height of almost overflowing the pan only 15 minutes into the 1 hour baking. The bread was salvaged after baking in the oven
Maybe I'll try baking it in the oven for a fluffier texture without the size restriction of the breadmaker :)
Yield: 13Lx10Wx13H cm
Loaf weight: 458g
135g bread flour 高筋面粉
15g top flour 低筋面粉
25g raw sugar 黄砂糖
10g condensed milk 炼乳
15g beaten egg 蛋液
1/4* tsp instant dry yeast 即发干酵母粉
1/8 tsp salt 盐
90g soya/fresh milk 豆浆/鲜奶
20g unsalted butter 无盐奶油
* if your breadmaker has a bigger or deeper bread pan, you can increase the yeast amount to 1/2 tsp for a fluffier texture.
1. Pour soya/fresh milk, condensed milk and unsalted butter in a heat resistant bowl.
Keep warm in a rice cooker for about 10 minutes.
This step is optional. I prefer to work with warm ingredients :)
2. Pour the warm ingredients from (1) into the bread pan.
3. Add in the sugar and salt.
4. Pour in the beaten egg.
5. Add in the bread and top/cake flour.
6. Dig a hole and pour in the instant dry yeast.
7. Place the bread pan into the bread maker. Select "dough" function and start the process.
8. The dough is ready.
9. Sprinkle some bread flour over both the work top and dough before inverting it out.
10. Flatten the dough to remove the trapped air.
The dough maybe quite sticky, so wear a pair of disposable gloves to handle it.
13. After the rest, with the folded side facing down, sprinkle some flour over the dough.
Roll the dough out into a long flat dough. The width of the dough should correspond to the length of the bread pan.
14. Roll up the dough starting from the shorter end.
15. Lower the dough into the bread pan. Lightly press the dough to ensure the dough has an even height. Spray some water, cover with a sheet of food wrap, and let it proof in a closed breadmaker for about 45 to 60 minutes, or till the dough reaches almost 1/2 the height of the bread pan.
When the bread dough reaches about 1/2 the height of the bread pan. You can start to pour the chocolate spongecake batter.
If you're a slow worker like me, you'll need about 20 to 30 minutes to prepare the spongecake part. So I started preparing it while the bread dough was about 15 minutes into proofing.
Avoid preparing the spongecake batter too early as the air bubbles may burst causing the cake to lose its leavening power.
Chocolate Cake 巧克力蛋糕
Room temperature Ingredients 室温材料
25g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
10g cocoa powder 可可粉
2 egg yolks 蛋黄
10g fine sugar 细糖
10g vegetable oil 植物油
15g milk 牛奶
2 egg whites 蛋白
1 tsp lemon juice 柠檬汁
20g fine sugar 细糖
1 tbsp almond flakes 杏仁片
1. Mix top/cake flour and cocoa powder in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar till pale yellow.
3. Add in vegetable oil and blend well.
4. Sieve and fold in flour mixture from (1) and milk in alternative manner.
Start with 1/2 of the flour mixture, then follow by 1/2 of the milk. Repeat for the remaining ingredients.
5. In a clean, dry and grease-free bowl add egg white and lemon juice.
Beat using an electric hand mixer till frothy, for about 30 seconds. Add in the sugar in 3 batches.
6. Beat at high speed at the start and reduce to low speed towards the end of the process. Beat the meringue till almost reaching stiff peak stage, the meringue will stay in an inverted bowl without falling off.
7. Scoop about 1/3 of the meringue into yolk batter from (4). Fold to mix.
10. Transfer the pan to the bread maker to bake.
11. Select function 12 "bake", select your desired browning colour, and start the baking process (about 1 hour).
To have a better browning effect, cover the window with a piece of aluminum foil.
12. About 5 minutes into baking, or when the surface starts to form a dry layer, lays some almond slice over it.
Close the lid and continue the baking process.
13. When the baking is over, remove the bread pan from the bread maker, and allow it to cool down for about 2 to 3 minutes before inverting it out into a cooling rack.
Recipe modified from: