Yield: 10 x 7cm diameter round buns
I: powerful food processor
Breadmaker: Whirlpool BM1000
Raw dough weight: 424g
An all- corn bun with corn custard filling. The creamy custard tasted like corn ice cream with crunchy corn kernels. This bread is conveniently kneaded by breadmaker and baked in an oven :)
140g fresh milk 牛奶
30g whipping cream
15g top flour 低筋面粉
5g corn flour 玉米粉
1 egg, beaten 蛋液
10g unsalted butter 无盐奶油
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 香草精
30g fine sugar 细糖
40g steamed corn kernels 蒸玉米粒
1. Mix fresh milk, whipping cream, top flour and corn flour in a bowl.
2. Pour beaten egg into (1) and blend well. Strain the mixture through a sieve and heat up the mixture in low heat till thicken. Stir regularly using a hand whisk.
3. Remove the bowl of custard from the stove. Add in the butter, vanilla extract, and fine sugar. Mix well.
4. Collect 40g of the custard for "doodling" the buns later.
Add 40g of steamed corn kernels to the remaining custard as filling later.
Chop 1/2 of the steamed corn kernels into fine bits. This helps the corns to infuse the flavour into the custard better.
5. Cover both bowls of custard by food wrap. Set aside.
72g whole milk 全脂牛奶
62g steamed corn kernels 蒸玉米粒
15g condensed milk 炼乳
30g unsalted butter 无盐奶油
30g raw sugar 黄砂糖
1/4 tsp salt 盐
25g beaten egg 蛋液
185g bread flour 高筋面粉
10g top flour 低筋面粉
3/4 tsp instant dry yeast 即发酵母粉
Some beaten egg as egg wash
1. Collect corn kernels from cob and steamed at high heat for 12 minutes. Or, steam in a rice cooker for 8 minutes, and let it stay in the rice cooker for 5 minutes.
You may want to add a pandan leaf to the corn while steaming to give it a sweet scent.
2. Blend 62g of corn kernels with 72g milk in a food processor till creamy.
You may add 1/2 blade of pandan leaf to blend for additonal sweet scent.
3. Add condensed milk and butter to corn milk in (2). Warm up in a rice cooker for 8 minutes to melt the butter.
4. Pour corn milk mixture into the bread pan.
5. Add in beaten egg.
6. Add in sugar and salt.
7. Pour in bread flour and cake flour.
8. Dig a hole and pour in the instant dry yeast.
9. Place the bread pan into the bread machine.
10. Select "8" Dough Kneading function; and press "Start".
11. The dough is ready.
12. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Flatten it with your palm to release the trapped air.
14. Roll up the small dough, pull down the sides several times to stretch out the dough surface, and seal at the bottom. Lightly coat with some flour and place in a plate, cover with a lid, to rest for 15 minutes.
15. Roll out the dough with the centre thicker than the edge. Flip the dough over so the smoother face will be facing out when wrapped.
16. Place the dough onto a non-stick baking sheet, spray some water over, and transfer to a closed oven to proof for about 30 minutes.
17. Transfer the remaining 40g of custard to a piping bag fixed with 0.5cm nozzle for "doodling" on the buns at the end.
18. After the final proofing, remove the dough from the oven. Preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius for about 10 minutes.
Apply egg wash over the dough, then pipe the custard to "doodle" over the surface.
19. Bake in the oven for 20 to 22 minutes,or till the top becomes golden.
21. Allow the buns to cool down over a wire rack. Enjoy :)