Yield: 4-person portions
4 chicken drumsticks, about 370g 鸡腿
1/2 onion, chopped 洋葱蓉
3 garlics, chopped 蒜蓉
1 tsp sambal chili paste 叁巴辣椒酱
25g gula melaka/palm sugar 椰糖
1/4 tsp light soya sauce 新抽
1 tsp crispy fried onion 炸葱粒
100ml water 水
1/2 cup coarsely ground peanut 粗花生粒
2~3 tsp lime juice 酸柑汁
1 tsp chopped coriander leaf 芫荽粒
1/4 tsp salt 盐
Some black pepper powder 黑胡椒粉
1 tsp coriander powder 芫荽粉
1/2 tsp raw sugar 黄砂糖
Some julienned japanese cucumber 黄瓜丝
Coriander leaves 芫荽叶
Some cut red chili 切片红椒
1. Rinse and pat dry chicken drumsticks.
2. Marinate the drumsticks with the marinade for at least 1/2 hour.
3. Pan-fry the drumstick briefly till the skin slightly turns golden. It's alright that the drumsticks are still raw below the skin.
Dish out the drumsticks to a plate. Set aside.
4. Stir-fry garlic till frangrant at medium low heat.
5. Add in the onion and stir-fry till frangrant and soft.
6. Add gula melaka* and about 1/4 tsp of low-salt light soya sauce to the side of the pot. The sauce will bubble.
Avoid adding liquid to the centre of the pot to prevent splattering.
* you may add sugar in place of gula melaka.
8. Return the drumsticks to the pot and stir to coat.
9. Add water and crispy fried onion. Bring the ingredients to a light boil. Lower the heat and let the ingredients simmer for about 15 to 30 minutes , or till the meat becomes tender.
10. Stir in coarsely ground peanut, chopped coriander leaf and lime juice. Add salt to taste if needed.
11. Garnish with julienned cucumber, coriander leaf and cut red chili and serve with warm rice :)