After 2 hours of simmering and less than 5 minutes of thickening the sauce, yielded 8 succulent and fall-off-the-bone ribs. All these are easily prepared using the "soup" and "stream" functions of a rice cooker.
I have tried using oven to prepare the dish, despite the long hours of baking, the meat was not as soft and juicy like the rice cooker ones ^^
Serving: 4 persons
8 prime/baby back ribs, about 600~650g
1/4 yellow onion, julienned 黄大葱
1 clove garlic, smash and keep the skin on 蒜头，带皮拍扁
1 tbsp hoisin sauce 海鲜酱
1 tbsp oyster sauce 蚝油
1 tbsp rice wine 花雕酒
1 tbsp sweet chili sauce 甜辣椒酱
1 tbsp honey 蜂蜜
1 tsp sesame oil 芝麻油
1/4 tsp dark soya sauce 黑酱油
1/4 tsp fish sauce, optional 鱼露
2 tbsp dark brown sugar 黑糖
1 tbsp raw sugar 黄砂糖
1/4 tsp salt 盐
1 tsp fried shallot 葱头酥
80ml water 水
1~2 tbsp honey 蜂蜜
Sliced Kyuri 日本黄瓜
Lime/lemon juice 酸柑/柠檬汁
* Quantity of marinating ingredients may adjust according to your preference.
1. Rinse and dry prime/baby ribs. Place the ribs in a big mixing bowl.
2. Add the marinades to the ribs and mix well.
3. Seal the the marinated ribs with food wrap or lid. Place the ribs in the fridge to marinate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
4. Allow the marinated ribs to return to room temperature before cooking.
5. Pour the ribs and the marinade into the inner pot of the rice cooker.
Select the "soup" program and set the cooking time as 2:00 h. Start the programs.
6. To ensure even heating, flip the ribs once every 20 minutes.
7. When the "soup" program is over, transfer the ribs to a bowl and cover them with a sheet of food wrap or a lid.
8. To remove the layer of oil accumulated at the surface of the gravy, soak it up using 1 to 2 sheets of scum absorbent sheet.
9. Select "steam" function and set the cooking time as 5 minutes, and start the program. Leave the rice cooker lid open, as the high heat of the "stream" function would facilitate the drying or thickening process of the gravy.
Stop the "steam" function, when the sauce has thickened considerably. Prolong heating will harden and dry up the sauce.
10. Add in 1 to 2 tbsp of honey to the thickened gravy. This will help to add glaze to the ribs later.
11. Return the ribs to the rice cooker to coat them with the sauce
12. Drizzle a little lime juice on the ribs just before serving.
Cleaning the pot
1. First use paper towel to wipe away the remaining sauce
2. Pour about 50ml of hot water into the pot and close the lid. Switch on the "keep warm" mode for 5 minutes, then allow the hot water to sit in the pot for about 15 minutes.
3. Pour away the hot water and start cleaning the pot as usual. The pot will be as clean as before.