I used an old recipe "natural yeast corn milk bread", to specially bake it into rectangular sandwich rolls just nice to hold a slice of rectangular luncheon meat.
Round bun is for hamburger, long bun is for sausage bun or hot dog, so luncheon meat needs a flat and broad bun to better hold the meat slice 😆
I recently learned that the lutein present in sweet yellow corn is beneficial to our eye sight, especially in protecting against the high energy blue light emitting from most of the computer monitors and mobile phone screen. So now I have good reason to add blended steamed corn to this recipe 🌽
Yield: 10 rectangular buns
Raw dough weight: 615g
Bread maker: Mayer MMBM12
Natural Yeast (100% hydration)
Day Temperature: 30 degree Celsius
100 g natural yeast poolish dough
10g cool boiled water
10g unbleached bread flour
Click the link for the method of cultivating natural yeast:
1. Feed the room temperature natural yeast poolish dough with 10g each of cool boiled water and bread flour. Allow the natural yeast to double in volume. This may take about 1 to 3 hours depending on the yeast strength.
1 hour after feeding, the poolish dough has grown more than double.
2. Collect 60g natural yeast for later use, and keep the remaining in the fridge. You may want to do a small feeding before storing the natural yeast in the fridge.
115g cold water 冷水
50g steamed corn kernels 蒸玉米粒
25g beaten egg 蛋液
40g raw sugar 黄砂糖
1/4 tsp salt 盐
30g cold unsalted butter 冷无盐奶油
275g bread flour 高筋面粉
20g milk powder 奶粉
60g natural yeast 天然酵母
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast 即发干酵母
Some beaten egg
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp white sesame seeds
1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
1. Steam corn kernels with pandan leaf at high heat for about 15 minutes.
2. After the steamed corn has cooled down, blend 50g of corn with 115g of cold water, and 2g of pandan leaf in a food blender.
Keep the corn milk in the fridge for about 20 minutes to cool down.
You can prepare this while waiting for the natural yeast to double in volume.
3. Pour cold corn milk from (2) into the bread pan.
4. Add in beaten egg.
5. Add in raw sugar, salt and cold butter.
6. Pour in bread flour, milk powder and the natural yeast.
Adding the 60g of natural yeast.
7. Dig a hole and pour in the instant dry yeast.
8. Place the bread pan into the bread maker, select C-11 "ferment dough" function, and start the machine.
The mixing, kneading and first proofing will take 1h 30min to complete.
9. When the program stops, let the dough continues to proof in the bread pan for another 30 minutes.
30 minutes later.
10. Turn out the dough onto a floured worktop. Flatten the dough to release the trapped air.
12. Roll the dough up, pull down the sides, and seal at the bottom, into a small dough ball.
Cover and let the dough balls rest for 15 minutes.
13. Take a dough ball and roll it into a long flat dough.
The width of the dough corresponds to about the length of the luncheon meat can.
Flip the dough over, and fold in the two wings, overlapping each other.
Flip over, and flatten slightly with a rolling pin.
14. Arrange the doughs in a big non-stick baking tray.
15. Transfer to a closed and warm oven to undergo second proofing for about 45 minutes, or till the doughs double in size.
16. To garnish the dough, brush the dough with beaten eggs,
then drops the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, white & black sesame seeds over the dough surface.
17. Preheat the oven to 190 degree Celsius for about 10 minutes.
20. Make a slit at the side and fill with your favourite sandwich ingredients. Enjoy :)