A sardine onion omelette toast pan-fried to crispy on both sides, serves with sweet and sour chilli dressing plus some crunchy cucumber cubes. It makes a yummy meal for breakfast, lunch, or even as a snack. But not as dinner. It is too rich a meal to digest at the late hours 😁
I first came to know about this dish from a Malay hawker stall in my neighborhood during my secondary school days. It was a "time consuming" order as the hawker needed to pan-fry the omelette to crispy in medium heat. Looking at the bubbling and sizzling omelette in the shallow oil puddle would make me drool 😍
The dish is popularly known as Roti John. There are several versions of the recipe available after googling. It seems that everyone has their own version of the omelette toast.
And here is mine, reminiscing my recollection of this delicious hawker dish during my youth 😋💕
Sweet Chilli Dressing
3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2~3 tbsp water
1 tsp lime juice
2 tbsp cucumber, diced
1. Combine all the ingredients together into a slightly runny dressing. Set aside.
Sardine Onion Omelette Toast
4~5 thick slice of baguette
1 tin sardine in tomato sauce, 120g
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 tbsp tomato sauce from the sardine tin
Pepper to taste
1 tsp rice flour (optional)
* you may add salt if you prefer. To me the amount of salt present in the sardine and baguette is enough :)
1. Break out the sardines into smaller chunks.
I took out the bones and dark abdomen of the fish before use.
2. Blend all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. Pour about 2 tbsp of olive oil into a medium hot pan. Wait for the oil to become hot.
4. Scoop the batter over a thick slice of bread. Hold a few seconds for the liquid to percolate down the bread, leaving the "drier" ingredients atop.
5. Slowly turn the bread face down to the hot oil. Hold it at low level so you keep the ingredients in place when you flip the bread over.
After about a minute, lower the temperature a little so you won't char the omelette while waiting for it to cook through.
When the omelette is dry and 50% brown, flip it over to pan-fry the other face. You may add some oil to make a more aromatic toast.
I didn't add additional oil, just let the bread soaked up all the remnant oil in the pan.
6. Serve the omelette toast crispy hot with the chilli cucumber dressing. Enjoy 😄
If you prefer a more crispy crust, you can opt for a boule.