I love this orange peel chiffon cake which is moist, soft, flavourful and relatively low in fat 😊
Orange peel is a good natural flavour provider for cakes. Save the fresh orange peel in the freezer and add it to cake batter whenever you are craving for an orange cake.
Next time before you cut an orange for your fruit platter, extract the orange peel, seal in cling wrap and keep it in the freezer. Before peeling the orange, it is advisable to thoroughly clean the orange skin with "Fruit & Veggie Wash" to remove any chemical residue.
Yield: One 6" round cake
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
3 egg whites 蛋白
40g fine sugar 细砂糖
3 egg yolks 蛋黄
10g fine sugar 细砂糖
20g rice bran/vegetable oil 米糠/植物油
45g unsweetened orange juice 无糖橙汁
5g golden syrup/honey 金黄糖浆/蜂蜜
5g orange peels 橙皮丝
55g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
1. Line the base of an 6" round cake mould with parchment paper. Need not grease the side.
2. Sieve cake flour for 2 times. Set aside.
3. Thaw the frozen orange peel, if you're using frozen orange peel. Cut into small pieces.
Combine rice bran/vegetable oil, orange juice, orange peels and golden syrup in a small container. Set aside.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg yolk with 10g of fine sugar till pale and creamy
I prefer to use a hand whisk to using an electric hand mixer, as the latter seemed to splatter more.
5. Mix in the mixture from (3).
6. Sieve and combine the flour in 3 batches, to (5). Cover and set aside.
7. In a separate, clean and grease-free mixing bowl, beat egg white to frothy, then starts to add 40g of sugar gradually. Beat at high speed till almost stiff peak state.
Reduce the mixer speed to low in the final 1 minute. Set aside.
8. Add about 1/3 of the meringue to (6) and mix well.
9. Pour (8) back to combine with the remaining meringue. Fold to combine into a smooth batter.
10. Pour the batter into an ungreased 6" round cake pan. Tap the pan against the work top to remove any trapped air bubbles.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 140 degree Celsius for about 30 minutes, at the lowest rack.
When the bake rises to almost reaching the rim of the cake mould, increase the temperature to 170 degree Celsius for about 12 to 15 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and drop the cake with the pan, 3 times over a cloth. And invert the mould immediately over a wire rack to cool down for about 25 minutes to prevent condensation from wetting the base.
13. Jiggle the pan to dislodge the cake, then invert the cake out.
After inverting out the cake, let the cake dry in a warm oven for about 15 minutes.
This step is optional.
14. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting :)