Why is my strawberry yoghurt chiffon cake not pink in colour? 😳 My family commented that it looked like pandan cake. Is it because only real strawberries and no artificial colouring has been added? If that's true, then that will distinguished between homebaked and bakery bought strawberry cake.
Just trust your nose and taste buds - the sweet strawberry scent is real 😋
Yield: one 6" round cake
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
3 egg whites 蛋白
40g fine sugar 白砂糖
3 egg yolks 蛋黄
10g fine sugar 白砂糖
20g rice bran/vegetable oil 米糠/植物油
40g strawberry yoghurt 草莓优格
15g homemade strawberry jam 草莓果酱
55g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
Click the link for directions to prepare jam from fresh strawberries ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
1. Line the base of an 6" round cake mould with parchment paper. Need not grease the side.
2. Sieve cake flour twice. Set aside.
3. Cut the strawberry chunks in the jam into bit size.
Combine rice bran/vegetable oil, strawberry yoghurt, and strawberry jam in a small container. Set aside.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg yolk with 10g of fine sugar till pale and creamy
I prefer to use a hand whisk to using an electric hand mixer, as the latter seemed to splatter more.
5. Add in the mixture from (3) gradually, and blend well.
6. Sieve and combine the flour in a few batches, to (5). Avoid over-mixing the flour. Cover and set aside.
7. In a separate, clean and grease-free mixing bowl, beat egg white to frothy, then starts to add 40g of sugar gradually. Beat at medium high speed till almost stiff peak stage.
Reduce the mixer speed to low in the final 1 minute. Set aside.
8. Add about 1/3 of the meringue to (6) and mix well.
9. Pour (8) back to combine with the remaining meringue. Fold to combine into a smooth batter.
10. Pour the batter into an ungreased 6" round cake pan. Bang the pan against the work top to remove any trapped air bubbles.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 140 degree Celsius for about 30 minutes, at lowest rack.
When the cake rises to almost reaching the rim of the cake mould, increase the temperature to 170 degree Celsius for about 10 to 15 minutes.
12. Remove the pan from oven and drop the cake with the pan, 3 times over a cloth. And invert the mould immediately over a wire rack to cool down for about 25 minutes.
13. After the 25 minutes of cooling, remove the cake from the mould and cool down over the wire rack.
If the cake is a bit wet exteriorly, return the cake to the warm oven to dry for about 15 minutes.
14. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting.
I prefer to serve the moist and velvety cake cold :)