I discovered this great concoction of watermelon and green lime in a recent visit to a Thai restaurant. However, the restaurant used fruit cordial and ice cubes to blend the smoothie. Obviously, it was yummy but lack in nutrients and freshness, and has too much added sugar.
For home edition, I replaced the cordial by freshly frozen watermelon cubes and freshly squeezed lime juice. Now, I can enjoy this refreshing smoothie in the comfort of home and, with less sugar, too ^^
Servings: about 4 x 230ml
You need not follow the recipe strictly, just blend your own version :)
800~900g watermelon cubes*
1 large lime
100g cold water
Some fine sugar (optional)
* I bought a quarter, which was about 1.8 to 1.9kg, of a whole seedless watermelon.
1. Remove the skin and cut the watermelon into cubes.
2. Seal the watermelon cubes and keep in the freezer for about 5 to 6 hours, or till the watermelon cubes become frozen.
3. As my blender cup is not big enough, I prepare the smoothie in 2 lots.
Add about 350~400g frozen watermelon cubes, or to about 3/4 height of a tall blender cup. Squeeze in 10g lime juice or 1/2 a large lime.
Pour in about 50g cold water, or filling to about 1/4 height of the blender cup.
Add sugar, if necessary, into the blender cup.
If your watermelon is sweet enough,you need not have to add sugar.
Blitz the ingredients till they become smooth.
4. Enjoy the refreshing smoothie cold :)