Yield: 1 x 20cm long cake roll
80g butter, melted
2 egg whites
2 egg yolks
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
15g corn starch
60g all-purpose flour
|All the ingredients|
1. Melt butter by placing it in a rice cooker. Turn on the 'keep warm' mode for 20 minutes. Set aside. You may warm up the milk and honey in the rice cooker too.
|Warm up the butter, honey and milk|
in a rice cooker
2. Whip the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl free of water and oil. When the egg whites start to froth, add in 1/3 amount of sugar and whisk till the sugar incorporated with egg white. Continue the process to finish up the second and third batch of sugar. (electric hand mixer - start with high speed, after adding the last batch of sugar lower to medium speed)
You may stop the whisking when hard peaks formed. When you invert the bowl , no egg white will fall out.
|Pour in the sugar when the egg|
|Whip the egg white till sharp|
Add in the following 6 ingredients using a hand whisk and in running order:
3. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, to the egg white.
|Blend the egg yolk with the|
egg white using whisks.
4. Next, add in the honey and blend well.
|Pour in the honey and mix.|
5. Follow by the melted butter. Remember to stir the bottom, as these ingredients tend to sink.
|Pour in the melted butter|
6. Pour in the milk and blend well.
|Add in the milk|
7. Add in the vanilla essence.
|Add about 1/4 tsp of vanilla|
8. Mix in the corn starch.
|Pour in the corn flour|
9. Finally, sieve in the all-purpose flour. Mix using a spatula. Minimize the mixing strokes, stop mixing when most of the flour has been combined.
|Sieve in the flour|
|Mix in the flour using a spatula|
10. Preheat the HCP using medium heat. Grease the pan.
|Grease the pan with oil before baking|
11. Pour the batter into hot pan. Swirl the pan to make a thin and even coating round the pan. Avoiding the edge as the heat cannot reach the edge well. Heat for about 4 minutes, or till the base turn golden colour, but the surface still wet.You may close the lid, but not locking it.
Shift the pan position every 1 minute to ensure even heating.
|Baking the first batch of batter|
|Roll up the cake till it reaches the|
|Close the lid but not locking|
12. Use 2 flat edge spatulas to roll up the cake from one end to the other. Then push the cake roll back to the starting point..
|Pour the next batch of batter|
and let it joins the cake roll.
13. Pour in the next batter, swirl the pan again and let the new batter 'connect' with the cake roll. When the bottom of the batter turns golden, roll up the cake.
14. Continue the process till finish all the batter.
|Use 2 spatulas to help you roll up the|
15. After the last roll up, let the roll sit in the pan for 5 minutes to do the final cooking.
|Let the cake sit and cover in the HCP for|
about 5 minutes to allow the cake to
cook more thorougly.
16. Let the roll cool down on a wire rack. When the cake cools to lukewarm temperature, wrap it up using a food wrap to prevent the cake from becoming dry.
After complete cooling down, cut the cake roll up and discard the two ends before serving :)
|Let the cake cool down on a wire rack|
|When the cake cool to lukewarm temperature,|
wrap it up using a food wrap.