A small and simple butter cake with bits of dark chocolate flakes scattered within the cake. Love the fine texture and nice aroma :)
Yield: one 21Lx10Wx4Hcm cake
Pan size: 21Lx10Wx6.5H cm
All ingredients in room temperatures, otherwise stated
Using 55g eggshells
2 egg whites
30g fine sugar
100g unsalted butter, softened
60g fine sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 egg yolks
100g all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder, 2g
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5g cold unsweetened baking cocoa
1. Lightly coat the cake pan with butter. Set aside.
2. Mix all purpose flour with baking powder using a hand whisk. Set aside.
3. Add vanilla extract to milk. Set aside.
4. Shave the cold cocoa baking bar using a knife. Set aside.
5. Cream the softened butter using a hand whisk.
6. Add in 60g of sugar and salt. Whip till light and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes if whipped manually.
7. Add in egg yolks, one at a time.
8. Add in flour and milk in alternate sequence, start with flour and end with. flour.
9. Beat egg white till frothy, for about 30 seconds. Add in 30g of sugar in 3 batches.
10. Beat at high speed at the start and reduce to low speed towards the end of the process. Beat the meringue till almost reaching the stiff peak stage. The standing meringue has a slight dip at the tip.
11. Fold in the meringue to the butter batter.
12. Fold in the chocolate flakes.
13. Transfer the batter to the cake mould. Tap the mould against the table top to level the top.
14. Bake in a preheated oven set at 170 degree Celsius for about 10 minutes.
After the 10 minute-bake, reduce temperature to 150 degree Celsius, and continue to bake for another 30 to 40 minutes, or till an inserted cake tester came out dry.
Allow the cake to cool down before serving :)