Yield: 10 small 5 cm round mooncakes
50g raw skinless pumpkin 去皮南瓜
40g glutinous rice flour糯米粉
5g tapioca flour茨粉
5g icing sugar糖粉
1. Steam the pumpkin till soft together with red bean (first steaming) using the 'rice cooking' mode.
2. Mash the pumpkin into paste.
3. While the pumpkin paste is still hot, add in the flour mixture slowly to combine into a dough.
Stop adding flour when the mixture resembles bread crumbs and can form into a pliable dough.
4. Roll a teaspoonful size of dough (~10g each) into a ball and place on a steamer rack or plate lined with parchment paper.
5. Steam the pumpkin balls together with the red beans during the second steaming.
6. Coat the cooked pumpkin balls with a thin film of oil. Cover and set aside.
Red Bean Paste
150g red beans红豆
70g raw sugar糖
10g golden syrup糖浆
2 tbsp cooking oil食油
1. Rinse and soak the red beans in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain and refill with water to soak the red beans for at least 5 hours or overnight. Submerge the beans with water about 3 cm above the beans.
2. Drain away the water. Place the beans in a heat resistant ware and add enough water to cover the beans.
Pour 200g of water into the rice cooker pot. Place the red beans & ware into the pot.
Place the pumpkin in steamer above the red beans.
Start the 'rice cooking' mode to cook the red beans for the first round.
3. When the 'rice cooking' process is over, remove the steamed pumpkin from the rice cooker, allow the red beans to sit in the rice cooker for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, add another 200g of water into the rice cooker pot.
Place the pumpkin balls into a steamer above the red beans.
Start the 'rice cooking' process for the second round.
5. When the cooking process is over, remove the pumpkin mochi from steamer, and allow the red beans to sit in the rice cooker for 10 minutes while you coat the pumpkin balls with oil.
6. Drain and collect the extra fluid from the red beans in a small bowl. When the red beans are still hot, add sugar and syrup and mix well.
7. Pour the red bean mixture into a food processor to blend into paste.
8. Pour oil and ghee into a pre-heated non-stick pot. Add in the red bean paste and start stir-frying to dry up the paste.
The red bean paste is ready when it can form into a ball.
If the paste is too dry, add some red bean water you have saved from (6).
9. Scoop out the red bean paste and partially cover with food wrap while cooling down. Set aside.
10. Divide the red bean paste into 10 equal portions (about 30g each) and roll into balls. Set aside.
11. Shape the red bean ball into a bowl. Place a Mochi in it and wrap up into a ball. Set aside.
(20g / portion)
100g all purpose flour中筋面粉
15g icing sugar糖粉
35g Ghee (or unsalted butter)酥油
1. Mix all purpose flour and icing sugar
2. Add in the ghee and combine well.
3. Pour in the water and mix well.
4. Knead the dough into a smooth dough for about 5 to 6 minutes. Roll into a ball, cover and let it proof for 40 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 10 equal portions (about 20g each) and roll into balls.
Crispy pastry 油酥面糰:
(15g / portion)
100g cake flour 低筋面粉
50g Ghee (or unsalted butter) 酥油
1. Mix both ingredients together and forminto a dough.
2. Cover and keep in the fridge until ready to prepare the final pastry skin.
3. Divide the dough into 10 equal portions (about 14g each) and roll into balls.
Direction for combining the skins
1. Flatten the pasary skin into a thin skin.
2. Wrap a crispy skin dough into the pasary skin. Roll into a ball. Complete the same steps with the remaining 9 balls.
3. Flatten the combined skin ball with the sealed side facing up. Roll out into a longstrip.
4. Roll up the pastry skin into a Swiss roll.Do the same for the remaining 9 rolls.
5. Cover with a sheet of food wrap and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
6. After the rest, take a roll and roll out into a thin strip again. Roll up and set aside.
7. Similarly, cover the pastry rolls with a food wrap and let them rest for 15 minutes.
8. After the rest, take a pastry roll, flatten the middle with a finger. Press both ends together.
9. Flatten the dough and roll into a disc.
10. Wrap the dough skin with a red bean and pumpkin Mochi ball from (step 11 of red bean paste section ). Shape into a ball and place on the baking sheet.
Black sesame seeds 黑芝麻
1 egg yolk+1/4t milk 蛋黄 + 牛奶
1. Give all the pastry balls from (10) an even egg milk wash.
2. Drops some black sesame seeds ontothe top.
3. Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes at 170 degree Celsius, or till the crust turns golden
4. Cool the mooncakes before serving :)
Recipe adapted from http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/carol-jay/article?mid=274431&prev=135399&next=274189