I have never made donut in my kitchen as I do not do deep frying. However, I decided to give donut-making a try after seeing it can be baked in an oven or air fryer. I was delighted the result of my first batch of air-fryer baked donuts was astounding 😍
My recipe gave a small quantity of 4 small donuts just nice for a family of four. The dough was quite small, so you can hand knead the dough without using a kitchen mixer😊✌
Video of the donuts
Yield: 4 small donuts & balls
Raw dough weight: 180g
1st proofing: 60 minutes
2nd proofing: 30 minutes
Baking temperature: Preheat air fryer to 180℃, bake at 180C for 5 to 6 minutes, or till reaching your desired browning.
50g superior bread flour
30g plain flour plus/plain flour
10g raw sugar
1g instant dry yeast
Pinch of vanillin powder, optional
10g natural yeast/sourdough, 100% hydration*
12g yudane dough^
5g condensed milk
40g milk, cold
5g whipping cream
10g cold water, to be added depending on dough condition
1g low sodium salt
10g unsalted butter, softened
Some homemade non-stick baking spread/cooking oil to be applied before baking 🍯
A little golden syrup to be applied to hot donuts
Some fine sugar for coating
* 10g natural yeast can be replaced by 5g each of bread flour and water.
^ yudane dough - mix 6g of bread flour with 6g hot water into a sticky paste. Wrapped in cling wrap and refrigerate before used.
🍯 non-stick baking spread is a mixture of butter:oil:flour in a ratio of 2:2:1
click above link for detailed recipe 🖯
1. Knead dough to window pane.
For detailed of my method, you can refer to my recipe Yudane Milk Bread.
First proofing 60 minutes.
60 minutes later 👇
2. Deflate the dough and divide into 4 portions and shape into balls. Rest for 15 minutes
3. Flatten the dough using a dough cutter.
Cut out a hole in the centre using a 2.5cm veggie cutter.
Transfer the dough and the ball onto separate parchment paper. Proof for 30 minutes in a close oven, or cover with a towel.
30 minutes later 👇
4. Preheat an air fryer to 180℃ for 5 minutes. While waiting, apply a coat of homemade non-stick baking spread over the dough surface
5. Bake in the preheated air fryer for about 5 to 6 minutes, or till reaching your preferred browning.
6. Remove the hot donuts from AF and apply a thin coat of golden syrup before coating in a bowl of fine sugar.