Yield: 6" round cake
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
3 egg whites
40g fine sugar
3 egg yolks
15g fine sugar
20g coconut/vegetable oil
50g unsweetened orange juice
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
5g candied orange peels*, optional
55g top/cake flour
* click the recipe link to view on the making of candied orange peels :
1. Line the base of an 6" round cake mould with parchment paper. Need not grease the side.
2. Sieve cake flour for 2 times. Set aside.
3. Combine coconut/vegetable oil, orange juice, candied orange peels, vanilla extract in a small container. Set aside.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg yolk with 15g of fine sugar till pale and creamy
I prefer to use a hand whisk to using an electric hand mixer, as the latter seemed to splatter more.
5. Mix in the mixture from (2).
6. Sieve and combine the flour in a few batches, to (5). Cover and set aside.
7. In a separate, clean and grease-free mixing bowl, beat egg white to frothy, then starts to add 40g of sugar gradually. Beat at high speed till almost stiff peak state.
Reduce the mixer speed to low in the final 1 minute. Set aside.
8. Add about 1/3 of the meringue to (6) and mix well.
9. Pour (8) back to combine with the remaining meringue. Fold to combine into a smooth batter.
10. Pour the batter to an ungreased 6" round cake pan. Tap the pan against the work top to remove any trapped air bubbles.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 140 degree Celsius for about 25 to 30 minutes, at lowest rack.
When the bake rises to almost reaching the rim of the cake mould, increase the temperature to 170 degree Celsius for about 20 to 25 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and drop the cake with the pan, 3 times over a cloth. And invert the mould immediately over a wire rack to cool down for about 25 minutes to prevent condensation from wetting the base.
I baked another cake on the next day without inverting the mould. The cake did not shrink *\(^o^)/*
13. After inverting out the cake, let the cake dry in a warm oven for about 15 minutes.
This step is optional.
14. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting :)
Recipe adapted from