This is a soft and healthy loaf of bread for the family to enjoy without much fuss :)
Yield: one 18 cm round loaf
140g fresh milk
20g fine sugar
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
120g bread flour
80g wholemeal bread flour
1/4 tsp salt
20g coconut/olive oil
1 tsp bread flour for sprinkling
1. Warm milk in a rice cooker to about 35 degree Celsius using "keep warm" mode for about 5 minutes. Or, use room temperature milk.
2. Pour milk into a mixing bowl, sprinkle instant dry yeast over the surface, and add in 20g sugar. Need not stir the mixture, let it stands for about 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
3. Mix all the flour and salt together.
4. Add coconut/vegetable oil to the yeast mixture, follows by flour mixture.
5. Use an electric hand mixer fits with spiral dough hooks to do the mixing and kneading. The spiral ends of the dough hooks must be facing each other.
6. Knead the dough for about 3~5 minutes, or till the dough forms a smooth lump and pulls away from the wall of the mixing bowl.
7. As the dough is still sticky, wear a pair of CPE disposable gloves to handle it. Shape the dough into a ball, and place in two layers of plastic bag. Squeeze out the air, and loosely tie a knot at the opening end of the plastic bags.
8. Place the bag of dough in the fridge and let it proof overnight, or at least 6 hours.
9. Take out the bag of dough 1 hour before working. Let it thaw to almost room temperature.
13. After 1 hour, slit open the plastic bag and turn the dough onto a floured surface. Flatten it with your palm to release the trapped air.
14. Fold in and roll up the dough, pull down the sides several times to stretch out the dough surface, and seal at the bottom. Lightly coat with some flour and place the dough onto a floured baking tray.
Wear a pair of disposable gloves for easy handling of the dough.
15. Spray some water, let the dough proof in a closed oven for 1 hour, or till the size doubles.
Switch on the oven to its minimum temperature for 1~2 minutes to warm up the oven. This helps the dough to raise faster.
16. After about 1 hour, or when the dough doubles its size, remove the tray of dough from the oven. Preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius for about 10 minutes.
17. Sprinkle some flour over the surface of the dough. Slit a few shallow cut over the top.
18. Bake the dough at 170 degree Celsius for about 18~20 minutes, or till the top turns golden.
Tap a long handle spoon on the loaf, if the bread sounds hollow, the bread is ready.
19. Transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool down.
20. Slice the loaf when fully cooled. Enjoy :)