Yield: one 14 cm round cake
20g unsalted butter 无盐奶油
60g fresh milk, room temperature室温牛奶
5g condensed milk 炼乳
1/4 tsp vanilla extract 香草精
80g top flour 低筋面粉
1/4 tsp baking powder 泡打粉
2 egg whites 蛋白
1/8 tsp cream of tartar 塔塔粉
60g fine sugar 细糖
2 egg yolks 蛋黄
1. Line a 14cm round cake tin with parchment paper.
2. Heat butter in a heat resistant ware under low heat till it turns golden brown. Tiny brown particles can be seen at the bottom of the melted butter.
Set aside to cool down.
As the butter boils easily, do not leave the heating butter alone. Stirring constantly will prevent the sudden splash of hot butter.
3. After the butter has cooled down slightly, add to milk, condensed milk and vanilla mixture. Set aside.
4. Mix top flour and baking powder using a hand whisk. Set aside.
5. In a clean and grease-free mixing bowl, beat egg white till frothy. Add in cream of tartar and sugar in 3 batches, and continue to beat at medium high speed till firm peaks formed.
6. Add in egg yolks, one at a time, to the egg white meringue. Beat till ribbon stage, when the dripping batter can form a distinct ribbon trail that takes a few seconds to disappear.
7. Add in the sieved flour from (4), in 3 batches, and mix using the hand whisks.
8. Pour in the milk mixture from (3) in a few batches. Use a pair of whisks to mix only the upper layer of the batter with the milk mixture. After the mixture is well mixed, then use a spatula to mix the entire batter by stirring the bottom batter to the top., and vice versa.
9. Starts to boil some water in a pot.
10. Pour the batter to the lined cake tin. Bang the cake tin a few times to get rid of trapped air parcels in the batter.
11. Steam the batter at medium high heat for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to medium low for 8 to 10 minutes, or till the cake cooked through.
12. Immediately after removing the cake tin from the pot, drop the cake with the cake tin from a height of about 10 cm thrice. This helps to prevent the cake from shrinking after cooling down.
13. Let the cake cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before removing it from the cake tin. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting.
14. Cut and serve. Enjoy :)