A moist sponge cake baked using the steam-baked method. The main characteristic of this cake is it can be baked with cold ingredients straight from the fridge:)
Yield: 18 x18 cm square cake 方形蛋糕
Using cold eggs from the fridge
5 egg whites 蛋白
70g fine sugar 细糖
1/4 tsp cream of tartar 酒石/嗒嗒粉
5 yolks 蛋黄
1 egg 全蛋
135g mango yoghurt 芒果优格
40g coconut/vegetable oil 椰油/植物油
65g top flour 低筋面粉
1/4 tsp salt 盐
1. Line a 18x18cm cake tin with parchment paper.
将一个18x18 cm 的方形蛋糕模铺上烘烤纸。
2. In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and1 egg till slightly pale and foamy. Add in coconut oil and mix well. Follow by yoghurt at medium high speed till foamy (about 3~4 minutes).
3. Add salt to flour. Loosen the flour and salt using a hand whisk. Blend the flour mixture into the yolk mixture in (2) till smooth using the whisks detached from the hand mixer.
Do not over mix the batter.
4. Place egg white in a clean and grease-free mixing bowl. Beat egg white using an electric mixer at high speed till the egg whites becomes frothy.
5. Mix cream of tartar and fine sugar in a bowl. Add the sugar mixture to the egg white in 3 lots and mix in low speed.
Increase the mixer's speed to high and beat egg white till firm peaks formed (the tips of the egg white slightly bent). Set aside.
6. Fold in 1/3 of the egg white meringue into the yolk batter in (3). Then return the mixture to the remaining 2/3 meringue. Stop mixing when no trace of egg white can be seen.
7. Pour about 500 g of hot boiling water to the baking tray place at the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius.
8. Pour the batter into the lined cake tin. Give the tin a few light taps to get rid of trapped air bubbles.
9. Place the cake batter into the preheated oven, and lower the temperature to 160 degree Celsius and bake for 30 minutes. Then further lower the temperature to 140 degree Celsius and bake for 15 ~20 minutes. The cake is ready when the centre raise to level with the surrounding.
Lightly press the spoon at the top of the cake, if the surface spring back, then the cake is done.
10. Remove the cake from the oven. Immediately, invert out the cake from the cake tin onto a wire rack to cool.
12. After the cake has cool down, cut and serve. Best if serve cold :)
Recipe adapted from: