Tuesday 19 April 2016

Breadmaker Sweet Pandan Bread 面包机香兰吐司


I have baked numerous sweet pandan breads, but this has the best texture so far. I have to attribute this probably to my new Mayer breadmaker which allows me to pause the program, and let me shape the dough as long as I needed. I believed I took about 20 to 25 minutes to shape the dough. My previous breadmaker didn't have this feature. After shaping the dough, I just needed to return the dough to the breadmaker and continue the program.
Love this sweet pandan bread in terms of both aroma and taste + the soft texture :)

Yield: one 12x12x13cm loaf
Bread weight: 516g
Raw dough weight: 532g


Ingredients 
145g cold water 冷冰水
10g pandan leaf 香兰叶
20g condensed milk 炼乳

40g raw sugar 黄砂糖
25g beaten egg 蛋液
1/4 tsp salt 盐
30g coconut/vegetable oil 椰油/植物油

235g bread flour 高筋面粉

25g superfine wholegrain flour 中筋面粉
10g milk powder
3/4 tsp instant dry yeast 即发干酵母

Glazing & Toppings 表面装饰
Some beaten egg 蛋液
1 tbsp desiccated coconut 干椰丝 
You may leave out the desiccated coconut.


Direction
1. Pour cut pandan leaves, and cold water into a food processor to blend.


Collect 150g of the pandan mixture,

and mix with condensed milk.

Keep in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes if you are not using cold water.

Pour the mixture into the bread pan.

2. Add in beaten egg.

3. Add in sugar, salt and coconut oil.



4. Pour in bread flour, superfine wholegrain flour, and milk powder in a mixing bowl and mix well. 

Add the flour mixture to the bread pan.


5. Dig a hole and pour in the instant dry yeast.


6. Place the bread pan into the bread machine.


7. Select C-02 "Sweet Bread" function; 

Select the dough weight: "500g",

Select the "crust colour"

And start the program.

8. When the countdown timer reads "1:30" h, a series of "beeps" can be heard. This is the shaping time.

Press the "Stop" button once to pause the program.
The timer will start to blink and an interval beep can be heard.

9. Wear a pair of disposable gloves, and remove the dough and the kneading blade from the bread pan.



10. Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Flatten it with your palm to release the trapped air.


11. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions, each about 178g.


12. Shape the doughs into 3 balls by pulling down the sides and seal at the base. Cover with a lid and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.


13. After the rest, take a dough and roll it flat into an oval.

Roll up from the shorter end

Dust with flour


14. Place the doughs back to the bread pan.

Spray a little water over the dough, close the lid, 

 And press "Start" button once to continue the program.


15. When the countdown timer reads "0:45" h, apply some beaten egg over the dough

Sprinkle some desiccated coconut over the dough.
This step is optional.


16. While the baking process is on-going, cover the breadmaker window with an aluminum foil. This helps to reduce the pale spot on the bread top.

The bread is ready *\(^o^)/*

17. Transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool down. Slice the bread after it has completely cool down :)









7 comments:

  1. Dearie,

    Thanks for your wonderful pictorial. Wonder can I just add 1/2 tsp of pandan paste to the cold water instead of pandan juice? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM, sorry I'm not familiar with pandan paste as I've never use it. Yes, you can add pandan paste in place of fresh pandan leaves. The right amount to be added would be gauged by yourself. You can increase the water amount to 150g if you're using pandan paste :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your reply. Will give it a try. I tried your coffee loaf, we love it. Finally after eating so many dense bread, that was one recipe that I able to proudly says it was still soft on day 2. Thanks so much !

    Haha....my bread maker rip at the right moment. I got one the same as you, will be following your recipe more closely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for your good words ^^ I'm happy to know that your bread tastes nice after using my recipe :)
      Happy baking :)

      Delete
  3. Hi I noticed that some bread recipe you allowed the dough to proof for 15 mins before putting back to the bread machine and some you don't after flatten the dough you just split the dough and placed it back into the pan and resume baking. May I know why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LC, to be honest I've stopped using BM to bake my bread for more than a year, so I'm kind of forgotten how I did most of the BM baked breads. Bread baking is a on-going process whereby I discovered and learned new techniques along the way. Therefore, there are variations if you compare between breads baked in different period. For example, I used to use warm ingredients in my earlier days, nowadays I prefer to use cold ingredients.

      Delete
    2. Hi... I was just wondering about this.. Currently, I am using warm ingredients (as suggested by some recipes). And I found they give quite a high rise. But my dough cannot be removed and shaped as it will be too soft to handle. May I know why you switched from warm ingredients to cold ingredients?

      Delete

I love seeing your comment and sharing it with other readers. Your comment would be published after moderation. Thank you :)