I have used natural yeast to bake breads, but in oven. So this is my first trial in adding natural yeast to bread baked in a breadmaker. As the baking programs in breadmaker are usually short, the natural yeasts have to be very active, and commercial yeasts have to be added to accelerate the proofing process.
Two types of dried fruits, mainly raisins and cranberries, have been added to the dough, but in separate sides of the bread. So there's no mixing up of flavours ^^
Yield: One loaf of 12x12x13 cm
Bread weight: 558g
Raw dough weight: 542g
Click the link for the method of cultivating natural yeast:
Feed the natural yeast before using, and use within 4 hours after feeding.
130+15g cold fresh milk 冷鲜奶*
20g condensed milk 炼乳
25g beaten egg 蛋液
30g raw sugar 黄砂糖
1/4 tsp salt 盐
20g cold unsalted butter冷无盐奶油
225g bread flour 高筋面粉
25g superfine wholegrain flour 超细全麦面粉
50g natural yeast 100% hydration 天然酵母
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast 即发干酵母
* 15g of milk to be added during kneading depending on the dough condition. As the water content of different natural yeast may vary, so the extra liquid needs to be added gradually.
20g dried cranberries
Some bread flour for sprinkling many 面包粉做表面装饰
Cover and set aside.
2. Mix cold fresh milk and condensed milk together.
3. Mix bread flour and superfine wholegrain flour in a bowl.
4. Pour ingredients into the bread pan in the sequence as they are listed in the ingredients list.
5. Transfer the bread pan to the bread machine. Select "C-02 Sweet Bread", "500g weight", "crust colour", and activate it.
After about 5 to 8 minutes of kneading, if the dough is too dry, gradually pour in the extra 15g of fresh milk, bit by bit.
6. When the countdown timer read "1:30" h, a series of beeps can be heard. Pause the program by pressing the "Stop" button.
Take out the dough,
and remove the kneading blade.
7. Place the dough onto a floured surface. Flatten it with your palm to release the trapped air.
Flip over the dough, so the smoother side will be facing out when roll up.
Press lightly to secure the raisins and cranberries to the dough.
10. Roll up the dough from both the shorter ends towards the centre.
To me, this method of rolling up the dough would better accommodate the turning pin protruding from the base of bread pan.
13. Return the dough to the bread pan, spray some water, and press the "stop/start" button to resume proofing program.
14. When the countdown timer reads "0:46" h, press the "stop/start" buttom to pause the program.
Sprinkle flour over the surface.
Press the "stop/start" button to resume. The baking process will start at "0:45"h.
15. Cover the window with a sheet of aluminum foil. This is to minimize heat loss through the window.
16. The bread is ready *\(^o^)/*
17. Remove the bread from the bread pan and cool on a wire rack.
18. After the bread has cooled down completely, slice the bread and enjoy :)