Roti bun or sweet bun is my best loved bread. It has a velvety soft texture and the best aroma for a plain bread can have. No problem eating this bread alone without any bread spread. Just tear and munch :)
The small quantity of this recipe makes it an ideal recipe for a hand knead bread.
Bread weight: 332g
Raw dough weight: 343g
Yield: two 10x10x10cm loaves
All ingredients in room temperature
135g bread flour 高筋面粉
15g top flour 低筋面粉
50g natural yeast 天然酵母
30g fine sugar 细糖
1/8 tsp salt 盐
15g beaten egg 蛋液
75g fresh milk 鲜奶
10g condensed milk 炼乳
1/4 tsp instant dry yeast 即发酵母粉
20g unsalted butter 无盐奶油
Some beaten egg s 蛋液
Click the link below for a similar recipe that uses only commencial yeast :
1. Feed 80g of active natural yeast with 10g each of cool boiled water and unbleached bread flour. Wait for the natural yeast to double in volume. For good active natural yeast, it should be able to double itself within 60 to 90 minutes. Use the natural yeast, while it is still active, within 3 hours after feeding.
Collect 50g for baking, and keep the remaining in the fridge.
2. Mix fresh milk with condensed milk in a bowl. When the ingredients return to room temperature, sprinkle instant dry yeast over it. Need no stirring.
Cover and let the mixture stands for about 15 minutes to activate the yeast.
3. Mix all ingredients, except butter, in a mixing bowl.
4. Stir in one direction to combine the ingredients into a lump. Cover with a lid, and let it rest for 30 minutes to allow the flour to fully absorb the liquid.
5. As the dough is quite sticky, wearing a CPE disposable gloves would make kneading easier. Knead the dough by slamming, pulling, and folding the dough, until the dough becomes smooth. This process takes about 10 minutes.
6. Spread out the dough and apply softened butter onto it. Knead to incorporate butter into the dough.
7. Continue to knead till the dough reaches window pane stage. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Shape the dough into a ball by pulling down the sides several times, till the dough surface is stretched and smooth, and seal at the bottom.
7. Spray some water over the dough, cover with a lid and let it proof for about 60 to 75 minutes.
8. At the end of proofing, turn out the dough onto a floured surface and flatten the dough with your palm.
9. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions, about 171g each.
10. Roll up the dough.
Fold into half, to make BV the two ends meet.
Shape the dough into a ball by pulling down the sides of the dough several times till the surface is tight and smooth, and seal at the bottom. Roll the dough within your palm to shape into a ball.
11. Place the doughs into a 20x10x6cm lightly greased loaf pan . Spray some water over them.
12. Proof the doughs for 60 minutes , or till the dough is about 1cm above the rim of the pan, with the oven door close.
13. At the end of 60 minutes, remove the dough from the oven. And preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
14. Apply egg wash over the surface of the dough.
15. Bake the loaf at 180 degree Celsius for about 18 to 20 minutes, or till the top turns golden brown.
6. Remove the loaf and pan from the oven, and invert out the loaf immediately.
16. Let the loaf cools own on a wire rack before slicing. Serve fresh :)