I baked these 4 delicious bottles of New York cheesecakes in a rice cooker. Yes, in a rice cooker.
I would consider a New York cheesecake a very high calorie dessert. To avoid over-indulging in this mouth-watering confection, I prefer to serve in small pudding bottles. To bake 4 pudding bottles of cheesecakes in a big built-in oven, isn't energy efficient. Therefore, I tried baking them in a rice cooker "Quick Cook" mode. With one cooking cycle and 15 minutes of keep warm, I finally baked my cheesecakes and no crack.
Yield: 4 x 200ml pudding bottles (1/3 filled)
Equipment: blender & rice cooker
<Biscuit Base Crust 饼干底>
60g strawberry oat biscuits 草莓燕麦饼干
20g unsalted butter 无盐黄油
1. Keep warm the butter in a rice cooker for about 6 minutes. Turn off the power, and wait for another 6 minutes for the butter to melt.
2. Put the biscuits into double plastic bags, and crush the biscuits into fine bits using a rolling pin.
3. Mix the crushed biscuits with the melted butter.
You can keep a teaspoon of the biscuit crumb for sprinkling on top of the cheesecake later.
4. Distribute the wet biscuit crumbs among 4 x 200ml pudding bottles, about 17g each.
5. Lightly compact the biscuit crumbs using the end of the rolling pin.
6. Refrigerate the bottles for 15 to 20 minutes to firm the biscuit base.
<Cream Cheese Batter 奶油蛋糕糊>
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g omega egg
125g cream cheese 奶油乳酪
40g fine sugar 细糖
1 tsp plain flour 中筋面粉
25g Greek yoghurt 优格乳
1 tsp lemon juice 柠檬汁
1 tsp lemon zest 柠檬皮碎
1/2 tsp vanilla essence 香草精
1 egg 鸡蛋
1. Pour all the ingredients into a mixing cup. Blitz the ingredients in a few short pulses, into a smooth batter using a food processor.
Do not over blend the ingredients to minimize the air bubbles in the batter.
Alternatively, whip cream cheese and sugar till fluffy, then add in the egg, follow by the rest of the ingredients.
2. Use a chopstick to stir through the batter to release any trapped air bubbles.
3. Pour the mixture onto the prepared biscuit crust in the pudding bottles.
5. Place the bottles in the rice cooker pot, and start the "Quick Cook" function
After the cooking ends, let the cheesecakes stay in the rice cooker for 15 minutes under "Keep Warm" mode.
After the 15 minutes keep warm time, take out a bottle and shake lightly. If the cheesecake jiggers like jelly, then the cooking is done. Otherwise, continue the "Keep Warm" mode for another 5 to 10 minutes and check again.
However, if the cheesecake batter is still wet at the side, continue another round of "Quick Cook" function, and check after every 10 minutes, till the surface and the side are dry .
6. Keep the cheesecake in the rice cooker for another 15 minutes, close the lid and turn off the "Keep Warm" mode.
7. Open the rice cooker lid, and let the cheesecake cool down slowly for another 15 minutes.
9. After the cheesecake has cool down, sprinkle some biscuit crumbs over the surface.
10. Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 6 hours for best result :)