Thermal cooker is an energy efficient equipment in the kitchen which helps to bring meat to tender-soft with minimum energy used and supervision. After bringing the ingredients to a light boil in the inner pot, place the inner pot immediately into the outer pot of the thermal cooker. The cooking heat is sealed and continue to simmer the dish to soft without a loss of moisture.
The char siew pork cooked in a thermal cooker was able to retain its juice, and simmer to tender. To add a glossy coat to the meat, the meat was coated with syrup and roast in a oven toaster to bind the syrup to the meat more firmly.
Yield: 4-adult servings
Appliances: 1.5L thermal cooker
350~380g collar pork
1.5 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1.5 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine
1 tsp rose wine , optional
1/4 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp raw sugar
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tsp honey
1 clove garlic, crushed with skin on
1.5 大匙 海鲜酱
1.5 大匙 蚝油
2 小匙 麻油
1 大匙 花雕酒
1 小匙 玫瑰露酒，可免
1/4 小匙 黑酱油
1 大匙 黄糖
1 大匙 黑糖
2 小匙 蜜糖
1 瓣 带衣蒜头，拍扁
1. Cut the meat into 2 large chunks to fit nicely in the 1.5 liter inner pot. Rinse and drain.
2. Add all the marinades to the pork in a mixing bowl. Mix with your hand for about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Cover with a lid, and let the meat marinate for at least one hour, or overnight.
4. Pour all the ingredients into the inner pot of the thermal cooker.
5. Heat in low heat and bring to a light boil.
6. When the ingredients start to boil, cover the pot with a lid partially, and allow the ingredients to boil for about 10 minutes.
Allow the meat to simmer for about 1.5 to 2 hours.
8. After the simmering, transfer the meat to a bowl and cover well to prevent the meat from drying up and harden.
9. Pour away half of the gravy, leaving behind the other half to make the char siew syrup.
In order to thicken the gravy, it's not energy efficient to boil down from a large volume of liquid.
10. Add 1 tsp hoisin sauce, and
1 tbsp of rock sugar,
Bring to rolling boil in medium high heat. When the sauce starting to form tiny bubbles and thickens, the sauce is done.
11. Dip the cooked meat into the syrup to coat well.
Place on a tray lined with parchment paper.
12. Roast the meat at 150 degree Celsius for about 3 minutes in a toaster oven. The heat will dry up the syrup on the meat faster. Repeat step 11 and 12 for about 5 times.
End of the roasting process. Allow the 叉烧 to cool down.13. Pour some water and starch to mix and dilute the remaining sauce in the inner pot. Heat the mixture till it becomes thicken.
This will become the 叉烧 gravy to be poured over the warm rice during serving.
Serve the sliced char siew with warm rice, cucumber and gravy.