Bunny shape German butter cookies baked in celebration of the upcoming Lunar New Year of Rabbit 🐇 The dough was simple to put together, but the shaping took a long 1 hour plus for a batch of 14 x 3cm bunny cookies 😓
In my second batch, I tried to give different
ear patterns to the bunny cookies 🐇
<Small portion recipe>
40g unsalted butter. softened
pinch of low-sodium salt
16g icing sugar
32g top flour/cake flour
32g potato starch
2g milk powder/plain flour
red food dye
some black sesame seeds as eyes
1. Cream salt and icing sugar to softened butter till light and pale.
2. Sieve in flours and milk powder. Mix using a silicone spatula till form into a smooth dough.
3. Keep 100g of the original dough, and mix the remaining 20g of original dough with a little red food dye into a pink dough. Cover and let them rest for about 20 minutes.
You can also wrap the dough in food wrap and keep in the fridge. Thaw the dough for about 30 to 60 minutes before shaping.
4. Divide the original dough into about 12 portions weighing 8g each.
Measure 2x8g portions from the pink dough. Keep the remaining dough as the ribbon dough.
5. Cut out a small portion of dough out of the 8g dough.
Divide the small dough into 2 bigger portions as ears, and a tiny bit as bob tail.
Shape the main dough into an egg shape as the rabbit body.
Shape the two bigger portions into 2 long strips, and shape the smaller one into a tiny ball.
Use narrow plastic blade to make a long impression along the middle line of the long strip to make a pair of rabbit ears.
Transfer the rabbit ears to the top of the rabbit body.
Affix the bobtail to the back of the rabbit body.
6. Cut and shape a pair of triangular dough from the pink dough
Attach the pink dough to the joining point of the rabbit ears to form a ribbon in front of ears.
Use a tweezer to insert two black sesame seeds to the eyes of the rabbit.
Yeah, your bunny cookie is almost done 👏👏👏
Repeat the steps for the pink dough.
Place the finished dough on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake at middle rack of a preheated oven at 150℃ for about 13 to 15 minutes. Let the cookies rest in the oven for about 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
8. Let the cookies cool down before keeping in an air-tight container 😋