Improved the health indices of the pumpkin milk bread by substituting part of the bread flour by superfine wholegrain flour; wrapped dried cranberries and homemade candied mandarin orange peels, as well as topping the crust with a compact layer of multigrain.
The homemade not-so-sweet and slightly bitter candied mandarin orange peels really uplifted the aroma of the bread. Click here to get to the recipe of homemade candied orange peel.
Give the slice of bread of short toast at 150℃ for 10 minutes to get back the crispy nutty crust 😋
🔅Yield: 4 small loaves in a pan
🔅Pan size: 26Lx9Wx7H cm
🔅Raw dough weight: 611g
🔅1st proofing: overnight in fridge.
Thaw for 90 minutes before shaping.
🔅2nd proofing: 60 minutes.
🔅Baking temperature: Preheat oven to 190℃ for about 10 minutes. After closing the oven door, reduce temperature to 180℃ for 15 minutes, reduce to 170℃ for 10 minutes, turn off the oven and let the breads bake for another 3 minutes, or till the tops are golden brown.
200g bread flour
60g superfine wholegrain flour
10g pumpkin powder/top flour
30g raw sugar
2g instant dry yeast
50g natural yeast/sourdough, 100% hydration*
30g yudane dough^
150g low-fat milk, cold
10g condensed milk
5g whipping cream
10g beaten egg
30g cold water, to be added depending on dough condition
3g low sodium salt
20g unsalted butter, softened
20g dried cranberries, soaked in hot water for 1 minute, drained and cut into smaller bits.
20g homemade candied mandarin orange peel
Apply egg wash (8g beaten egg + 3g whipping cream) before baking.
20g multigrain for bread topping
10g organic pumpkin seeds
* 50g natural yeast can be replaced by 25g of bread flour and 25g of water + 1/8 tsp instant dry yeast. Let the mixture stand for about 1 hour or more till it doubles in volume, before use. You can also keep the mixture in the fridge overnight and thaw it for 1 hour before use.
^ 30g yudane dough is prepared by combining 16g of bread flour with 16g of very hot or boiling water into a sticky dough. Wrap the yudane dough in cling wrap, and cool down before use. Use a silicone spatula to scrape out the sticky yudane dough from the cling wrap.
1. Knead the dough following your preferred method.
For my method, you can refer to my recipe Yudane Milk Bread.
2. After kneading the dough to window pane, shape the dough into a ball, and keep in a plastic bag coated with a little cooking oil. Keep in a second plastic bag before keeping the dough in the fridge overnight.
3. In the next day, remove the outer plastic bag, invert the dough, and let the dough thaw at room temperature for about 90 minutes.
4. While waiting for the dough to thaw, brush the bread pan with homemade non-stick spread, or butter.
5. Turn the dough onto a floured worktop, deflate, and divide into 4 portions.
Shape into 4 balls, cover with a plastic sheet or towel, and rest for 15 minutes
6. Roll flat a dough, fold in the two wings to the middle line.
Spread out 1/4 of the cranberries and candied orange peels filling to the flat dough before rolling up like a Swiss roll.
7. Place the rolled dough into the prepared bread pans. Spray some water over, and let them proof in a cold oven for about 60 minutes, or till double in volume.
60 minutes later 👇
8. Start to preheat oven to 190℃ for about 10 minutes.
While waiting, brush a coat of egg and whipping cream mixture over the top.
Sprinkle a compact layer of multigrain over the top.
9. After closing the oven door, reduce the temperature to 180℃, and bake for about 15 minutes, reduce to 170℃ for 10 minutes, turn off the oven and let the breads bake for another 3 minutes, or till the tops are golden brown.
10. Remove the hot breads from the pans immediately after leaving the oven.
Post a Comment
I love seeing your comment and sharing it with other readers. Your comment would be published after moderation. Thank you :)