Serving: 4 adults
2 boneless chicken legs
4 shiitake mushrooms, fresh or dry
25g old ginger, sliced
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp dark soya sauce, to add colour
1/2 tsp starch mixes with 1 tbsp water
1. Wash and pat dry the chicken legs. Cut into large chunks and set aside.
2. For fresh mushroom, use a wet cloth to clean the mushrooms. Toast the mushrooms in toaster for 5 minutes at high heat. This is to bring out the aroma of the mushrooms.
If you are using dry mushrooms, wash and soak them in water till soft. Keep the water for later use.
3. Heat sesame oil in a pot in low heat. When the oil is hot, put in the ginger slices and fry them slowly till they turn brown, but not burn, on both sides. This will allow the fragrance of ginger to infuse into the oil.
4. Turn up the heat and quick stir the chicken chunks till the meat is about 60% cooked.
5. Pour in the rice wine and continue to stir-fry the chicken chunks for about 1 minute.
6. Add in mushrooms and sufficient water to just cover the chicken chunks. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer for about 1/2 hour or till the meat is soft.
Pour in the mushrooms water, if you are using dry mushrooms.
7. Towards the end of the cooking, add in salt, sugar, dark soya sauce and starch water. Stir till the gravy thickens.
8. Serve hot with warm rice :)