Serve: 4 adults
2 eggs, room temperature
50g fine sugar
60g top flour
1. Line a 14cm cake mould with parchment paper.
2. Warm up a small amount of water in a pot, till you see a light mist will do. This is to facilitate whipping of the egg batter later.
3. Place eggs in a heat resistant mixing bowl, and place over the pot of warm water.
4. Beat eggs using an electric mixer set at high speed for about 2 minutes. Then add first 1/2 of the sugar, continue to beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
5. Then add in the second 1/2 of the sugar. Continue to beat at medium speed for about 5 minutes, and another 5 minutes at low speed. At the end of the process, the egg batter will become pale and creamy.
6. Remove the mixing bowl from the pot of warm water. Start to boil the water for steaming the cake later.
Fold in the sieved flour in 3 batches, using a spatula.
7. Pour the batter into the cake mould.
Give the cake mould a few light taps to remove any trapped air in the batter.
8. When the water in the pot starts to boil, put down a steamer stand and put the cake mould onto the stand.
First steam at high heat for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium low, and continue to steam for another 10 minutes, or till an inserted stick came out clean.
9. Cool the cake on a wire rack for 1 minute, before removing it from the cake mould.
11. When the cake has cool down slightly, cut and best serve warm :)