A light cheesecake using trim coconut milk to replace the dairy milk and butter in the usual cheesecake recipe. This not-so-sweet and lighter version of cheesecake alleviated the calorie-burden of this yummy dessert to a small extend.
Why a small extent? The great portion of the cream cheese is still the major calorie contributor. If you like the taste of the coconut, give this cake a try ^^
Yield: one 14 cm round cake
125g cream cheese 奶油乳酪
110g trim coconut milk 低脂椰浆
15g fine sugar 细砂糖
1 blade pandan leaf (optional) 香兰叶(可免)
3 cold egg yolks 冷蛋黄
36g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
6g corn flour 玉米粉
3 cold egg whites 冷蛋白
1/4 tsp lemon juice 柠檬汁
40g fine sugar 细砂糖
1. Spray a 15cm diameter by 7 cm height aluminum pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
Preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius.
As the cake rises at least 5 cm during the baking process, it's best to get a tall wall baking pan.
2. Mix Ingredient C in a bowl, using a hand whisk. Set aside.
3. Place (A) in a heat resistant mixing bowl and place over a bain-marie or hot water bath. Stir the mixture over low heat until smooth and thick. Remove the pandan leaf before leaving the hot water bath.
4. Remove the mixing bowl from Bain-Marie. Add ingredient (C) from (2) and mix till combine.
5. Add Ingredient (B) egg yolks, one at a time, and stir until well combined. Cover the batter and put aside.
6. In a clean and grease-free mixing bowl, whip the egg whites in (D) until frothy at medium high speed using an electric mixer. This will take about 10 seconds. depending on your mixer power.
Add in the remaining (D) ingredients (lemon juice followed by sugar) to the meringue gradually. When all the ingredients are well combined, resume to whip at high speed until soft peaks formed. This will take about 2 minutes.
Reduce the mixer speed towards the end of the whipping process to achieve a finer texture.
7. Scoop about 1/3 of the meringue to mix with the cheese batter in (5).
8. Pour the cheese mixture from (7) back to the balance meringue. Fold to combine into a smooth batter.
9. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Give the cake pan a few bangs on the work top to level the top as well as to get rid of trapped air.
10. Pour hot water to a height of about 1 cm, into a bigger bake ware to serve as water bath.
11. Place the cake pan into the shallow water bath and bake in the oven lower rack. Reduce the temperature from 200 degree Celsius to 180 degree Celsius, and bake for 15 minutes, or until the top of the cake becomes slightly tanned in colour.
Reduce temperature to 160 degree Celsius and bake for 10 minutes.
12. At the end of the 20-minute baking, leave the oven door ajar to cool down the cake gradually for 10 minutes.
13. Remove the cake from the oven and dislodge it while it is still warm. This will prevent accumulation of moisture at the base of the cake. Let the cake cools completely on a wire rack. Cut and serve after 4 hours of refrigeration :)
This cake is best serve after refrgeration :)
Great appreciation to the following references which made my cake possible ^^
Recipe adapted from
Baking temperature adapted from