A fast-to-fix homemade condensed milk making use of full cream milk powder instead of fresh milk. Just less than 10-minute of stir on a stove over low heat, yield a small jar of condensed milk. Due to the coarse nature of the milk powder, the condensed milk has a slight grainy-texture, so this is more suitable for use in baking. If you can accept the grainy sediment at the bottom of the cup, you can use it in beverages :)
Edited on 31.5.2015
I tried making condensed milk using the fresh milk instead of milk powder. Although it has a smoother texture (not grainy), it took a longer time to thicken. And the milk taste was not as rich as the milk powder made condensed milk. Maybe in my next round, I'll add whipping cream to add richness to it ^^
Using fresh milk
200g fresh milk
150~180g fine sugar
10g unsalted butter
1. Place fresh milk and fine sugar in a heat resistant bowl.
2. Heat up the mixture in medium heat till it starts to bubble. Stirring regularly.
3. Reduce the heat and continue to stir till the mixture turns slightly yellowish. Add in the unsalted butter and stir constantly till the mixture has thickened.
5. Pour into a clean and dry container. Allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature before storing in the fridge.
Adding the condensed milk to your hot beverages :)
Using Milk Powder
Yield: 355g of condensed milk
100g hot water 热水
10g unsalted butter 无盐奶油
180g fine sugar 细砂糖
100g full cream milk powder 全脂奶粉
1. Add hot water, unsalted butter and fine sugar in a pot. Heat and stir at low heat till ALL the sugar has dissolved.
This will help to achieve a smoother condensed milk later.
2. Add in the milk powder in a few batches. Stir the milk powder till well dissolved, using a hand whisk, before adding the next batch.
I keep the whole mixture over low heat till the end.
The mixture may seem dilute at the beginning. As you stir further, it will slowly thicken up.
However, try not to over thicken the mixture, as the mixture will slowly thicken further after refrigeration.
When the dripping milk can form a thread, the condensed milk is ready.
6. Pour the warm condensed milk into a clean and dry container. Let it cool down to room temperature before sealing with a lid and keep in the fridge :)
Great appreciation to the following reference:
Recipe modified from