This is an unique cake which will segregate into 3 distinct layers upon completion of the baking process.
The bottom layer is chewy; the middle layer is the soft pudding; and the top layer is the light sponge cake.
A layer of sliced fresh mango has been added to the base of the cake to give the cake a tinge of sweet and tangy taste :)
Yield: one 20 cm square cake
375g fresh milk 鲜奶
3 egg yolks, room temperature 室温蛋黄
50g fine sugar 细砂糖
75g unsalted butter, melted 溶化无盐奶油
1 tsp vanilla extract 香草精
85g top flour 低筋面粉
3 egg whites, room temperature 室温蛋白
1/2 tsp lemon juice 柠檬汁
25g fine sugar 细砂糖
120g sliced fresh mango 鲜芒果片
Some icing sugar for decoration 糖粉
1. Line a 20cm square cake mould with parchment paper.
2. Peel and slice some fresh mango to line the bottom of the cake pan.
A thicker slice of mango should be able to produce a more distinct layer.
3. Warm fresh milk to about 50 degree Celsius. You can let the milk keeps warm in rice cooker for 15 to 25 minutes. Place the butter in a steamer rack, or on top of a lid, to heat up together.
4. Beat egg yolks with sugar till pale and thick.
5. Slowly, add in the liquid butter in three batches. Mix well.
6. Add in the vanilla essence and mix well.
7. Pour in the warm milk and stir to mix.
8. Sift in the top flour and mix using the whisk manually.
9. Filter the batter to obtain a smoother texture pudding later.
10. In another clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites till frothy before adding lemon juice and sugar.
11. Beat the egg white mixture till soft peaks formed. When you lift up the whisk, you can see the tip of egg white slightly bent.
12. Pour the meringue into yolk mixture from (8). Mix till the meringue turns pale yellow. Do not over mix in order to achieve the three-layer effect
13. Pour the batter into the lined cake mould. Pour a first layer at a lower height in order not to "disturb" the mango layer.
14. Place the cake mould in a baking tray and pour about 250g of boiling water into the tray.
15. Place the cake at lower shelf and bake in a preheated oven set at 150 degree Celsius for 70 to 80 minutes, or when the cake becomes golden at the surface.
16. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting.
17. Trim away the uneven edges.
18. Cut into 10 pieces and sprinkle some icing sugar over the top. Keep the cake in a fridge.
Best consume within two day :)
Recipe adapted from