I believe most people who have tasted gula melaka or palm sugar with coconut milk will love the dessert. When I came to know about this recipe through Jenny Lim's sharing on Baking's Corner, I knew I have to try it. The rich flavour, soft and moist texture, crispy dessicated coconut crust, make this cake a lovable dessert despite its high calorie. Enjoy first, exercise later ><
That's why I shrink the original recipe by 2/5, hehe :)
Yield: 6" round cake
All ingredients in room temperature
120g gula melaka*, chopped
60g coconut milk
1 blade pandan leaf (optional)
150g unsalted butter, softened
1/8 tsp salt
30g brown sugar
120g cake flour
12g coconut powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp dessicated coconut
* also known as palm sugar
1. Line a 6" round cake tin with parchment paper.
2. Mix cake flour, coconut powder, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl using a hand whisk. Set aside.
3. Cook coconut milk, chopped gula melaka and pandan leaf, till melt and set aside
4. Beat butter and brown sugar till light and fluffy
5. Add in the eggs, 1 at a time, blend well before adding the next egg.
6. Fold in sifted flour, alternate with melted coconut-gula melaka sauce.
7. Pour batter into a lined 6" cake tin. Tap the tin against the work top to release the trapped air bubbles and to level the surface.
8. Sprinkle dessicated coconut on top.
9. Bake at 170 degree Celsius for 50 to 65 min.
The original recipe suggested to bake for 50 minutes for a 7" tin, but mine needed an extra 15 minutes.
10. Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and let the cake stay in the cake tin for 15 minutes.
Remove the cake from the tin and let it cool down further.
I cover the cake with paper kitchen towel to prevent too much moisture from escaping.
11. Slice the cake and enjoy :)
Great appreciation goes to the recipe which I adapted mine from :)