An aromatic rye loaf with burst of nutty flavour with almost every bite from the crispy sesame crust or the walnut embedded in the soft interior :)
Learned from Dr Oz show, rye bread is a good hunger supressant. Take a slice in the morning, and it will help you fight the hunger pangs 😄💕 That's why I dug out the old recipe and revamped it 😆
Bread maker: Mayer MMBM12
Weight: 381 g
160g bread flour 高筋面粉
40g rye flour 黑麦粉*
4g cocoa powder, about 2 tsp 可可粉
125g cold water 冷水
25g raw sugar 黄砂糖
4g fine salt, about 1/2 tsp 细盐
25g coconut / veggie oil 椰油/植物油
3/4 tsp instant dry yeast 即发酵母粉
15g roasted walnut, chopped 烤香核桃粒
Some egg white/water for brushing
17 g white sesame seeds
3 g black sesame seeds
* You can find organic rye flour from Fairprice Finest and Xtra supermarts.
1. Roast walnut in a preheated oven toaster for about 8 to 10 minutes at 150 degree Celsius, or until fragrant.
Break the walnuts into smaller pieces and set aside.
2. Mix rye flour, cocoa powder with bread flour using a small hand whisk.
3. Pour cold water into the bread pan.
4. Add in the raw sugar and fine salt.
5. Pour in the coconut oil or vegetable oil.
6. Pour in the cocoa-rye gflour mixture from (2).
7. Dig a hole and pour in the instant dry yeast.
8. Place the bread pan into the breadmaker and select "C-11 Ferment Dough" function to proceed.
9. When the program stops, let the dough sits in the pan for another 30 minutes.
10. Sprinkle bread flour over the work tops as well as the dough surface before inverting it out.
11. Flatten the dough to release the trapped air and roll out into a flat oval dough.
12. Roll up the dough, cover with a lid, and let it rest for 15 minutes.
13. After the rest, roll out the dough into an oval shape again.
Sprinkle the walnuts chunks from (1) onto the dough.
Roll up the dough from the longer end. Seal by pinching at the end.
14. Place the sealed end facing down on a piece of parchment paper.
Brush the dough with egg white or water.
15. Spread white and black sesame seeds over the dough.
16. Place the dough in a closed oven, turn on the minimum temperature for 1 minute to facilitate the proofing.
Let the dough proof for about 45 minutes, or till it doubles in size.
17. After the proofing, remove the dough from the oven. Preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius.
While waiting, slit 3 long shallow cut over the top by lightly sliding the knife over the surface.
18. Bake at the middle rack of the oven at 200 degree Celsius for 20 to 25 minutes, or till the sesame seeds become golden.
To test whether the bread is baked through, tap a spoon agsinst the crust, if it sounds hollow, then the bread is baked.
19. Allow the loaf to cool down completely before slicing it.
The bread is best enjoy warm to bring out the nutty flavour :)