I have baked Yuzu and citron tea cotton cakes before, but using the cook-dough method. This is my first attempt in using the normal chiffon cake method to bake this low-fat cake. Only 20g of added oil, which translated into 2.5g per slice. In spite of the low fat content, the cake remains moist and soft after about 45 minutes of baking.
The Korean citron tea concentrate helps to give the cake a nice golden hue, as well as some scattered bits of citron peels within the cake ^^
Yield: one 6" round cake
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
3 egg whites
40g fine sugar
3 egg yolks
10g fine sugar
20g rice bran/vegetable oil
40g Yuzu juice
15g Korean Citron Tea
55g top/cake flour
1. Line the base of an 6" round cake mould with parchment paper. Need not grease the side.
2. Sieve cake flour twice. Set aside.
3. Cut the citron tea peels into bit size.
Combine rice bran/vegetable oil, yuzu juice, and citron tea in a small beakers. Set aside.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg yolk with 10g of fine sugar till pale and creamy
I prefer to use a hand whisk to using an electric hand mixer, as the latter seemed to splatter more.
5. Add in the mixture from (3) gradually.
6. Sieve and combine the flour in a few batches, to (5). Avoid over-mixing the flour. Cover and set aside.
7. In a separate, clean and grease-free mixing bowl, beat egg white to frothy, then starts to add 40g of sugar gradually. Beat at medium high speed till almost stiff peak stager.
Reduce the mixer speed to low in the final 1 minute. Set aside.
8. Add about 1/3 of the meringue to (6) and mix well.
9. Pour (8) back to combine with the remaining meringue. Fold to combine into a smooth batter.
10. Pour the batter into an ungreased 6" round cake pan. Bang the pan against the work top to remove any trapped air bubbles.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 140 degree Celsius for about 25 to 30 minutes, at lowest rack.
When the cake rises to almost reaching the rim of the cake mould, increase the temperature to 170 degree Celsius for about 10 to 15 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and drop the cake with the pan, 3 times over a cloth. And invert the mould immediately over a wire rack to cool down for about 25 minutes.
13. Remove the cake from the mould and cool down over the wire rack.
14. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting :)