This is a light, soft, moist and not-so-sweet cake, which is best consumed cold. My family likes this cake very much and finished it up within one day :)
Yield: one 6" or 15 cm cake
Mould size: 6" diameter, 3" height
170 degree Celsius for 40 minutes with upper heating coil;
150 degree Celsius for 20 to 30 minutes with both heating coils.
All ingredients in room temperature
Using nett 60g Omega 3+6 egg
3 egg yolks 蛋黄
30g beaten egg 蛋液
35g salted butter 有盐牛油
50g cake flour, sieved 低筋面粉，过筛
50g condensed milk 炼乳
3 egg whites 蛋白
40g fine sugar 细砂糖
1. Line a 6" round cake mould with parchment paper at the base.
2. Mix egg yolks with beaten egg. Set aside.
3. Heat butter till small bubbles start to appear at the bottom of the melted butter.
4. Pour the flour into the hot melted butter. Fold to mix with a spatula.
5. Add in the condensed milk to combine.
6. Add the (5) to (2). Cover and set aside.
7. Beat egg white till frothy, for about 30 seconds. Add in the sugar, in 3 batches.
8. Beat at medium high speed at the start and reduce to low speed towards the end of the process. Beat the meringue till almost reaching the stiff peak stage. The standing meringue has a slight dip at the tip.
9. Scoop about 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter at (6). Fold to mix.
11. Pour the batter into the 6" round cake mould. Lightly bang the cake mould a few times to remove any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
12. Place the cake pan in a tray of 1cm-deep hot water.
Steam-bake the batter in a preheated oven set at 170 degree Celsius with only the upper heating coil for 40 minutes at lower rack of the oven.
After 40 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 150 degree Celsius with both upper and lower heating, for another 20 to 30 minutes. The original recipe which uses eggs of 50 to 55g in weight, suggested 20 minutes. However, the eggs I used have a weight of about 60g, so I extended the baking time to 30 minutes.
If the cake brown too fast, cover it with an aluminum foil.
13. Remove the cake with pan from the oven and drop the pan with the cake from a height of about 5 cm for about three times. This is to prevent the cake from over shrinking during the cooling period.
Oven temperature and baking duration may differ based on individual oven.
Then let them cool down on a cooling rack for about 15 ~20 minutes, or till the cake slightly shrink away from the wall of
the cake mould.
While the cake is still warm, runs a silicon spatula along the edge of the cake. Remove the cake from the cake pan and cool down on a wire rack. This is to prevent accumulation of moisture at the base of the cake.
14. Slice the cake and enjoy :)
Recipe adapted from the wonderful sharing by
with great appreciation <3