Substituting half of the butter quantity with the same quantity of rice bran for a lower cholesterol cake. Lower butter in the batter also lowers the risk of meringue bursting during combination of the yolk-butter batter to the meringue.
Yield: 1 round cake
Pan size: 6x3" round pan
Oven type: oven with temperature surround feature
Baking temperature: Preheated oven to 160℃ switching on only the upper heating element, bake at lower rack at 160℃ for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 140℃ switching on both upper and lower heating coils, and bake for 30 minutes.
You may have to increase the baking temperature by 10℃ if you are using a normal oven.
All ingredients at room temperature
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
20g rice bran oil/mild flavour vegetable oil
20g unsalted butter, softened
60g top/cake flour
25g low-fat milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2g orange rind, chopped finely
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
5g orange juice
20g fine sugar
20g raw sugar/fine sugar
2. Wash the orange with vegetable wash before using it. This is to get rid of any chemical residue on the fruit skin.
Peel the orange skin and slice away the pith.
Chop about 2g of orange rind into fine bits. Set it aside.
Extract 5g of orange juice and set it aside.
3. Combine Ingredient [C] in a small glass. Set it aside.
4. Loosen Ingredient [B] in a small bowl using a small whisk. Set it aside.
5. Warm Ingredient [A] at low temperature till reaching about 72~75℃.
Pour Ingredient [B] from Step 4 into the warm oil, mix briefly using a silicone spatula, and remove from the stove. Continue to fold until it becomes a smooth paste.
|Picture for demonstration
|Picture for demonstration
6. Mix in Ingredient [C] from Step 3.
7. Combine Ingredient [D] the egg yolks, one at a time, and mix into a smooth batter. Set it aside.
8. Beat egg whites under Ingredient [E] in a clean, dry and grease-free bowl, till frothy. Add in orange juice, and first batch of the fine and raw sugar mixture. Continue to beat the egg whites at high speed. Slowly add in the remaining sugar mixture in two batches.
Fresh eggs will give a smooth and glossy meringue, while the egg whites of the "old" eggs will be more watery, so it's difficult to achieve nice smooth meringue
Stop beating after the meringue has achieved almost stiff peak stage.
9. Transfer about 1/4 of the meringue to combine with the yolk batter from Step 7.
Pour back the yolk batter to mix with the remaining meringue into a smooth batter.
10. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bang the cake pan against the work top to level the batter and to get rid of trapped air bubbles.
Place the cake pan into the 20cm square pan filled with about 1cm deep of hot water.
11. Preheated oven to 160℃ switching on only the upper heating element, bake at lower rack at 160℃ for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 140℃ switching on both upper and lower heating coils, and bake for 30 minutes.
My Teka oven HLB840 has a temperature surround feature. You may have to increase the baking temperature by 10℃ if you are using a normal oven.
12. Remove the cake from the oven. Drop the cake with the pan from a height of about 10 cm to a kitchen towel thrice. Let the cake cool down for about 20 to 25 minutes in the pan.
When the cake starts to pull away from the wall of the pan, jiggle to loosen the cake, and turn it out to a cooling rack
You may want to dry the cake in a warm oven for about 15 minutes.
Cut and enjoy 😋😋