Sweet corns is one of the common ingredients found in my kitchen. However, I couldn't find many cake recipes that used this ingredients, especially the butter cake. Hence, I modified one of my butter cake recipes to include steamed sweet corns in it. I kept my fingers crossed that the cake would not fail too badly, at least palatable.
Fortunately, the cake rose to a nice height. Yeah, now I have a new sweet corn recipe to be added to my collection 🌽😁
IngredientsAll ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
20g steamed sweet corn kernels
15g golden syrup/honey
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
110g unsalted butter, softened
110g fine sugar
pinch of salt
120g top/cake flour
15g milk powder
3/4 tsp baking powder, 3g
pinch of salt
Optional1 tsp steamed sweet corns
some top flour for coating
Directions1. Coat the 26x10x7.5 cm loaf pan with butter and sprinkle a thin layer of flour over it. Set aside.
This step 2 is optional
2. To add different texture to the cake, I included a teaspoon of steamed sweet corn to the batter later. Cut the steamed corn kernels into smaller size, and toss with some top flour. Set aside.
3. Add a pinch of salt to the eggs, and beat till slightly frothy. Set aside.
4. Blend steamed sweet corn kernels with water in a food processor till smooth.
5. Collect 30g of the blended corn to mix with golden syrup, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a cup. Set aside.
6. Cream softened butter with fine sugar till pale and fluffy.
7. Gradually add in the beaten egg and blend well. Add the beaten egg only after the previous batch has been well incorporated.
8. Mix top flour with milk poweder and baking powder in a bowl. Sieve in the flour mixture, in a few small batches, into the batter and mix well.
9. Blend in the corn mixture from Step (5).
Use a spatula to mix well.
10. Pour about 1/3 of the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Add the corn bits from Step (2) to the remaining 2/3 of the batter, and mix well.
Pour the batter to the loaf pan.
Bang the pan lightly to level up the batter.
11. Bake in a preheated oven, at middle rack, at 160°C for 40 to 42 minutes, or till an inserted cake tester came out clean.
12. Let the cake cool down in the pan for about 20 minutes before transferring it out to a cooling rack.
13. Cut and enjoy 😋