These were simple butter sponge cakes baked in paper lined aluminum cups. The only feature was just the tall aluminum cups used in the baking. The retro appearance of the cake somehow has an unique charisma of its own - simple yet attractive 😍
I have been looking for the tall aluminum cups for years until I found them in Tott store at Century Square 😃 The aluminum cup costs about S$1.10 each after the GSS discount 💰
You can use paper cupcake moulds for this recipe too 😉
|The cupcake mould size is 5x5x5 cm|
|The recipe can produce about 9 cupcakes|
Yield: 6 cupcakes
Mould size: 9x7.5cm aluminum cup
Baking Temperature: 170℃ for 5 minutes, lower to 150℃ for 20 to 25 minutes.
IngredientsUsing 60g Omega 3&6 eggs
All ingredients in room temperature
4 egg whites
pinch of salt
70g fine sugar
4 egg yolks
12g corn starch
40g unsalted butter, melted
5g golden syrup/honey
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Directions1. Cut 6 sheets of grease-proof papers into about 20cm square shape. Fold, shape and line in the aluminum cups cup moulds. Set aside.
2. Melt butter with golden syrup in a small mixing bowl, then add in the vanilla extract. Set aside.
3. In a dry, grease-free and clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites to frothy. Add in the salt and follow by fine sugar (to be added in 3 batches).
Continue to whisk till reaching almost firm peak stage.
4. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, till reaching ribbon stage.
5. Sieve in the top and corn starch mixture in three batches. Fold to mix.
6. Take about one small bowl of batter, and mix it with the melted butter mixture (from Step 2).
Pour back the butter batter to combine with the rest of the batter.
Use a spatula to fold till the batter becomes smooth.
7. Pour the batter into the lined cup moulds, about 103g each. The batter fills to about 3/4 height of the cup.
Bang the cups to level the batter and to get rid of trapped air bubbles. Arrange the cup moulds in a baking tray.
8. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170℃ for 5 nnminutes, lower to 150℃ for 20 to 25 minutes, or till the top becomes golden. Place at the lower rack of the oven.
9. Remove from oven and from the metal cup moulds.
Let the cupcakes cool down over a wire rack.
You may trim away the extra lining paper.
10. Enjoy 😋