Ingredients4 chicken drumsticks, about 550~600g
1 bulb large red onion
2 red chilies
1 tsp dark brown sugar/raw sugar
1 tsp low-salt light soya sauce
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tbsp low-salt light soya sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp granulated palm/coconut sugar
3 small cubes rock sugar, optional
juice from 1/2 a big lime
salt and sugar to taste
red chili, cut
Directions:1. Rinse drumsticks and marinate with marinade for about 30 minutes.
2. Cut half of the big onion into strips, and chop the other halves into fine bits.
Deseed the red chillies and cut them into thick slices. Set aside.
3. Add about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan, add chopped onion, cook over medium heat till the onion turns fragrant and translucent. I prefer to loosely close the lid to get the onion soften faster.
4. Add granulated palm sugar,
light soya sauce,
dark soya sauce,
and wait for the palm sugar to melt and bubble. No need to wait for the rock sugar to melt.
5. Stir in the cut red chillies,
and wait for the content to bubble again.
6. Coat the marinated chicken with the sauce, and cook till the meat just turn white.
7. Pour the water in, cover with the lid, and wait for the sauce to boil.
8. Add the onion strips in, cover with a lid, and let the content simmer for about 40 minutes at low heat, or till the meat is tender.
10. Add and coat the meat with lime juice at the end of the cooking.
11. Garnish the chicken with cut spring onion, red chilli and chinese coriander leaves. Serve with warm steamed rice 😋
I think this chicken dish can go well with the jackfruit salad. I'll update the photo after my next cooking 😊