Semolina flour is a high protein coarse grain flour derived from premium grade Italian durum wheat. It is still relatively new to me and I am determined to find out more about this unique yellowish flour produced by renowned pasta maker San Remo.
Pan size: Jamie Oliver 1.5L bread pan 21x13x10cm
Baking temperature: Preheat oven to 190℃, bake at 180℃ for 15 minutes, 170℃ for 20 minutes, lower rack of a preheated oven.
175g water, cold
50g active natural yeast/sourdough, 100% hydration*
10g rice bran oil
260g bread flour
30g semolina flour
30g raw sugar
2g instant dry yeast
4g fine salt
12g milk powder
To be added later
20g cold unsalted butter
5~10g water to be added during kneading
*natural yeast can be replaced by 25g bread flour + 25g water + 1g instant dry yeast
|Semolina is a high protein coarse grain flour obtained from durum wheat.|
1. Mix all ingredients, except 20g of unsalted butter, together in a mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Knead into a smooth dough before adding cold unsalted butter. Let the content stands for 5 minutes before continue to knead till reaching window pane.
3. Keep the dough in a lightly oiled plastic bag, stand the dough in room temperature for about 30 minutes. Transfer to the fridge for overnight proofing, about 12 ~16 hours.
4. Invert and let the cold dough thaw in room temperature for about 1 hour before shaping.
5. Invert out the dough onto a floured work top.
Deflate the dough.
Roll out the dough using a rolling pin.
Flip over and roll out the dough again. So the smoother face will be facing down.
Fold in the four sides towards the centre.
Invert and cover the dough, and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
6. While waiting for the dough, grease the bread pan with butter.
7. Roll out the dough using a rolling pin.
Flip over the dough so the smoother side would be facing up after rolling up later.
Roll up the dough and pinch the end to seal.
Sprinkle the dough with semolina flour.
Place the rolled dough in the prepared bread pan.
6. Cover with a tea towel and let the dough proof in room temperature for about 80 minutes, or till the dough rises to about 4/5 height of the bread pan.
7. Preheat the oven to 190℃, and dust the dough with semolina flour.
Score the dough using a razor blade. This step is optional.
8. Place the dough at the lower rack of a preheated oven, reduce the temperature to 180℃, and bake for 15 minutes. Further reduce to 170℃ and bake for 20 minutes, or till golden.