Update: 27 Aug 2019
By baking in a water bath and in another baking temperature and duration, I got a cake with a smoother crust. Furthermore, the cake need not be inverted to cool down, and still kept the height 😍
Yield: one 6" round cake
Baking temperature: 1) 140℃ for 30 minutes, 170℃ for 13~15 minutes
or, 2) in water bath, bake at 170℃ for 40 minutes with upper heating, 150℃ for 20 minutes with both upper and lower heating. More details at the end of this recipe 📖
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 55~59g Omega 3&6 eggs
35g organic coconut oil
60g top flour
5g milk powder, optional
1g baking powder
25g fresh pandan paste *
10g golden syrup
30g banana paste
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
45g fine sugar
* Blend 16~18g fresh pandan leaves with 50g of water, without filtering.
1. Line the base of an 6x3" round cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Combine fresh pandan paste with golden syrup in a small glass. Set aside.
Combine top flour, milk powder and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Warm coconut oil till you can see some convection currents appearing at the bottom of the oil. Pour in the flour mixture from Step 2, remove from the heat source,
and mix them into a smooth paste.
4. Pour in the banana paste, and mix well.
Mix in the pandan mixture from Step 2.
Adding the egg yolks, one at a time, to combine with the paste.
5. In a clean, dry and grease-free mixing bowl, beat egg whites with salt, and fine sugar, till reaching almost firm peak.
6.Transfer about 1/4 of the meringue to combine with the pandan-banana paste from Step 4.
Pour the paste back to combine with the remaining meringue.
7. Pour the batter to the prepared pan from Step 1. Bang to get rid of trapped air bubbles and to level the batter.
8. Bake at lower rack of a preheated oven at 140℃ for 30 minutes, and increase to 170℃ for 13~15 minutes.
9. After leaving the oven, drop the pan onto a tea cloth for 3 times from a height of about 10 cm. Invert the pan and rest on a wire rack for about 20~25 minutes.
Jiggle the pan to loosen the cake.
Invert onto a wire rack,
and "dry" the cake in a warm oven using the remnant heat for about 10 minutes.
10. Cool down, cut and serve warm or cold. Enjoy 😋
Bake using water bath
Bake the cake in a water bath lined with a square grid iron and filled with 1cm deep of hot water in a 20x20cm square pan.
|Picture for demonstration purpose.|
Drop the pan to a kitchen towel thrice at a height of about 10cm. Let the cake cool down for about 20 minutes, or till the cake shrink away from the cake pan wall.
Remove the cake pan, and "dry" the cake in the warm oven for about 15 minutes, using the remnant heat of the oven.
Cut the cake after it has completely cool down 😋
Post a Comment
I love seeing your comment and sharing it with other readers. Your comment would be published after moderation. Thank you :)