Coconut flavour glutinous rice ball filled with sweet and spicy sambal coconut, and coated with crushed seafood flavoured "Chilli Crab Popcorns". This is a modification of the popular Nyonya snack pulut panggang / rempah udang. I added some red cargo rice to the chewy glutinous rice ball to give it a slight crunchy bite when you hit the red rice berries. The sambal and palm sugar sweetened grated coconut filling was juicy and flavourful . The crushed chilli crab flavour popcorns coating not only give the glutinous rice ball a nice golden colour and interesting appearance, but also a nice sweet, savory and a umami-ful taste. This finger food is best served chill 😋
"Eureka" brand chilli crab flavour popcorns not only have crispy popcorns, but also crispy crab-meat flakes 😋
Click this link to reach the preparation of Sambal Palm Sugar Grated Coconut 👈
Servings: 8x4cm balls
80g glutinous rice
10g red cargo rice/brown rice
4g coconut oil*
1/8 tsp low-sodium salt
90g sambal palm sugar grated coconut
40g Eureka Chilli Crab popcorns
* you can substitute the coconut oil by changing 20g of the 70~80g water to 24g of coconut cream.
1. Rinse glutinous rice and red cargo rice till the water runs clear. Soak the rice for about 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain away the overnight water, and add fresh water (about 72g) to about 5mm above the rice level in a heat-resistant bowl.
Mix in the low-sodium salt
and coconut oil.
Stir to mix well.
3. Pour about 100g of water into the pot of a mini rice cooker.
Stand the bowl of rice over a wire rack. And start the Rice Cooking function of the rice cooker.
End of cooking process. Let the rice simmer for about 10 minutes before removing from the rice cooker.
Let the rice cool down before use.
4. While waiting for the rice to cool down, crush about 40g of Eureka Chilli Crab popcorns and some crispy crab meat flakes in a thick zip-lock bag using a rolling pin.
5. When the rice has cooled down, divide the rice into 8 portions, about 25g each.
Divide the sambal palm sugar grated coconut into 8 portions, 10g each.
6. Take a rice ball and sandwich between two sheets of cling wrap or plastic sheets. Flatten the rice ball into a thin layer. Wet the cling wrap with a little cool drinking water to prevent the glutinous rice from sticking to it.
Lift away the upper cling wrap, and keep the bottom cling wrap intact.
Place a sambal palm sugar grated coconut ball in the center of the glutinous rice layer.
Close up the glutinous rice layer to wrap the coconut filling in the center.
Hold tight the loose end of the cling wrap, and turn the wrapped end to tighten and compact the rice ball. Do not turn too tight or the cling wrap will give way.
Place the finished rice ball over a plate.
7. Drop a rice ball into the bag of crushed popcorns, and roll the ball around to coat. Before taking out the coated rice ball, give it a light compress to ensure the popcorn coating is well attached.
8. The golden rollie is ready to be serve in room temperature or chill before serving. I prefer the chilled one 😍😋