I like to use mini rice cooker to cook simple dish as I do not really have to watch over the cooking. Only have to time the cooking. Happy that the steamed egg cooked using the mini rice cooker was so smooth and silky just like 豆花 😍
In general, the egg to liquid ratio for the steamed egg is about 1:2. In other words, 60g of egg will require about 60x2 = 120g of liquid. And this 120g of liquid include the liquid condiments. You can lower the liquid ratio to 1.9 or 1.8 if you prefer a firmer texture.
Topped the steamed egg with sweet and sour sambal chilli and pickled lettuce bits for a sweet and spicy version.
For a little luxury version, the steamed egg can also be served with BBQ chicken and pickled lettuce bits 😋
Video showing the making process and the end product 😃
All ingredients in room temperature
1 egg, 60g
25g low fat milk
5g yosenabe sauce*
Quantity can be adjusted according to your taste
1/2 tsp sambal chilli paste for nasi lemak
1/2 tsp crispy shrimp chilli/hae bee hiam
1/4 tsp raw sugar, optional
juice from 1 green lime
2 tsp low-salt pickled lettuce 菜心, chopped finely
Some cut green scalllion
* 5g yosenabe soup sauce can be replaced by 4g light colour soy sauce and 1g hua diao jiu or rice wine, and a little mushroom powder/chicken stock powder.
1. Coat a heat-resistant bowl with sesame oil, or any mild flavour oil. Set aside.
2. Add egg, milk, water and yosenabe sauce to a glass, and stir using a fork. Try not to stir air into the mixture in order to get a smooth texture later.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the sesame coated bowl. Skim off any bubbles on the surface of the egg mixture.
4. Cover the bowl with an aluminum sheet at the opening. Poke 4 pin-size holes to the aluminum sheet.
5. Pour about 100g of water into the inner pot of a mini rice cooker. Place a steamer stand in the pot.
6. Place the bowl from Step 4 into the rice cooker pot. Cover the lid, and start the cooking process. At the same time, start a 10-minute countdown timer.
7. When the timer buzzes, turn off the rice cooker powder, open the lid, and let the bowl of steamed egg sit in the pot for 5 minutes. If you are not sure whether the egg is cooked, open the aluminum sheet to check. If you swirl the bowl lightly, the steamed egg should wobble like jelly. Otherwise, continue to steam for a few more minutes.
8. While waiting, prepare the topping by combining sambal chilli paste, crispy shrimp chilli, raw sugar, and green lime juice together into a smooth paste.
Cut the pickled lettuce and green scallion into bits.
9. To serve, open the aluminum sheet, add the cut pickled lettuce, prepared sambal chilli and green scallions to the steamed egg. Enjoy 😋