I love the vegetable okonomiyaki with golden crispy crust and a creamy soft interior. Although no meat was added, the colourful vegetables were able to give the pancake a crunchy texture and wonderful flavour. To add zest to the vegetable pancake, sprinkled some crispy sesame seaweed flakes over the top 😋
This plant-based pancake is ideal to be served as a no-meat meal drizzled with sweet and sour sesame dressing 😍🍕
A brief demonstration video of the okonomiyaki 👇
Servings: 2x18cm pancakes for 2~3 persons
I prefer to prepare the batter in 2 separate bowls for more even size pancakes. Therefore, I'll give the individual pancake quantity multiply by two.
2x3g glutinous rice flour
2x5g warm water
2x10g hot water
2x10g hot water
2x70g cabbage, shredded
2x20g carrot, shredded
2x15g fresh shiitake mushrooms, julienned
2x1 stalk spring onion, cut into short length, 16g
2x15g fresh black fungus, julienned
2x15g steamed corn kernels
2x1g coriander leaves
2x10g golden crisps/Calbee prawn cracker
2x50g top/cake flour
2x1g tsp baking powder
2x1g low-sodium salt
2x10g yosenabe sauce *
2x60g water *
1 packet of crispy seaweed flakes
Sesame Chilli Dressing
Japanese Roasted Sesame salad dressing
Korean red pepper paste
so sorry as I did not take measurement for the individual ingredients, so was unable to provide the exact quantities. However, you can concoct the sesame chilli dressing based on your taste 😉
* You can
- mix 2x10g Kikkoman yosenabe sauce to 2x60g water, or
- mix 2x1 tsp of higashimaru udon soup seasoning powder to 2x70g hot water to make the stock.
Prepare the following ingredients in two separate bowls. The quantities given is for one pancake.
1. Mix 3g of glutinous rice flour with 5g of warm water.
When well combined, pour in 10~12g of hot water. Stir to mix till it becomes a smooth paste. Cover and set aside.
2. Mix top/cake flour with baking powder and salt.
3. Pour in the yosenabe stock and mix well. Avoid over mixing. Set aside.
4. Add half of the vegetables in a mixing bowl.
5. Add in the glutinous rice paste and top flour paste from (1) and (3), followed by an egg.
8. Cover and wait till the the batter is almost 90% solidified, or the top of the pancake has hardened.
Flip over and cook the other face.
9. Transfer the pancake to a plate.
10. Mix all the ingredients under spicy sesame dressing and drizzle it over the top of the pancake.
Sprinkle some TaoKaeNoi sesame seaweed flakes over the pancake for additional flavour 😋
Cut with a pizza knife. Enjoy :)
Post a Comment
I love seeing your comment and sharing it with other readers. Your comment would be published after moderation. Thank you :)