This is a simple cake which uses eggs, sugar, honey, bread flour and milk to bake. It's a beautiful cake with very fine texture. To minimize the number of big air bubbles within the batter is a big challenge to the baker. Thanks so much to kitchentigress for sharing this recipe :)
Yield: one 20x9x6cm cake
All ingredients in room temperature
85g egg whites 蛋白, about 2 1/4 eggs
60g fine sugar 细糖
60g egg yolks 蛋黄, about 4 yolks
20g honey 蜂蜜
20g milk* 牛奶*
60g bread flour 高筋面粉
* can be substituted by coconut milk
1. Lightly grease a 21x9.5x6.5 cm silicone loaf mould with butter. Or, line a metal loaf mould with parchment paper.
2. Add egg whites to a greased-free dry mixing bowl.
3. Beat egg white using an electric hand mixer, set at medium high speed, till frothy. Reduce the speed to low, and add in sugar in three lots.
Increase the mixer speed to high, beat the meringue till firm peaks formed (the tip of the egg white slightly bent). This process takes about 1 minute. Reduce the mixer speed to low, and continue to beat for about 1 minute.
4. Add egg yolk, one at a time, to the meringue.
5. Add in honey and blend well.
6. Sift in the flour and mix using the whisk detached from the mixer. The flour to be added in 2 lots.
Avoid over mixing, which will end up with a harder cake texture.
7. Slowly drizzle the milk over the surface of the batter. Mix only the surface layer of the batter. This is to avoid the milk sinking to the bottom of the batter.
Finally, use a silicone spatula to do the overall even mixing. Avoid stirring in big air bubbles to give the cake a fine texture.
While mixing, give the mixing bowl a few jerks in the process to get rid of big air bubbles.
8. Pour the batter slowly into the cake mould. The flowing process allow the batter to get rid of some trapped air.
Bang the cake mould la few times to level the top, as well as to get rid of trapped air.
9. Place the cake batter and a small cup of hot water onto a baking tray placed at lowest shelf of the oven. Bake the cake in the preheated oven set at 160 degree Celsius for 30~35 minutes.
Using a silicon mould would require shorter baking time, about 30 minutes will do.
10. Remove the cake from the oven, and let it cools over a wire rack for 1 minute. Bang the cake mould against the work top at a height of about 20 cm, for 2 to 3 times, till the cake surface wrinkle slightly. This helps the cake to keep its height after cooling down.
11. Let the cake cool down on a wire rack. After cake has completely cool down, run a soft spatula round the edge of the cake. Invert the cake out of the cake mould.
12. Cut and serve.
You can steam the egg white custard using the remaining egg whites.
Recipe adapted from:
Post a Comment
I love seeing your comment and sharing it with other readers. Your comment would be published after moderation. Thank you :)