A small, soft and spongy vanilla cake that is light to enjoy :)
Yield : one 15cm (18cm) round cake
Figures in ( ) are for 18cm cake size
28 (42) g top flour
6 (9) g corn flour
18 (27) g whole milk
12 (18) g fine sugar
1/8 (<1/4) tsp salt
16 (24) g corn/rice bran oil
1/8 (<1/4) tsp vanilla essence
2 (3) egg yolks
2 (3) egg whites
1/8 (1/4) tsp lemon juice
24 (36) g fine sugar
1. Loosen and mix top flour and corn flour in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Add sugar, salt, oil and vanilla essence to milk. Stir to dissolve the sugar partially. Set aside.
3. Add egg white and lemon juice in a clean and grease-free mixing bowl. Whip the mixture using an electric mixer at medium high speed till frothy. This takes about 10 ~15 seconds.
Pour in the 24g fine sugar and continue to beat at medium high speed till firm peaks formed. The tips of the egg white slightly curl.
Reduce the mixer speed to low, and continue to beat till stiff peaks formed. There are short spikes when you lift up the mixer.
Lift up the whisks to check regularly in order to avoid over beating the meringue.
4. Preheat the oven to 150 degree Celsius.
5. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and milk sugar mixture from (2) at low speed for about 8 seconds.
6. Sieve in the flour mixture. First mix with the mixer whisks without switching on to avoid sending the flour flying.
Turn on the mixer to give a more thorough mixing. Stop mixing when no flour can be seen, about 10 seconds.
7. Add 1/3 of the meringue from (3) to (6), and fold in using a spatula.
8. Return the batter to the remaining meringue and mix well.
9. Pour the batter into a greased 6" round cake mould (15cm).
Give the batter a few jolts to get rid of trapped air.
Run a thin stick in zigzag through the batter to remove small trapped air. Level the batter with a spatula.
10. Bake in the preheated oven at 150 degree for 30 minutes.
11. Drop the cake with mould from a height of 10cm immediately after leaving oven. This prevent shrinkage to the cake during cooling.
12. Invert the cake with mould over a cooling rack to cool down.
13. Cut and serve :)
>>Using a 17cm springform cake tin <<