I have a similar recipe that is baked in an oven. However, on a lazy day, I prefer to let the breadmaker runs the process from kneading to baking. As a result, I modified my oven recipe http://mymindpatch.blogspot.sg/2014/12/barley-milk-loaf.html
into a recipe that is suitable to be baked in a breadmaker :)
Yield: One 13Lx12Wx13H cm loaf
Loaf weight: 480g
70g boiled barley pearls
125g fresh milk
35g raw sugar
1/4 tsp salt
15g beaten egg
25g coconut/vegetable oil
225g bread flour
25g wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
Some beaten egg
1. Boil barley with candied winter melon strips and pandan leaf.
2. Collect 70g barley pearls and blend with 100g milk.
3. Add about 25g of fresh milk to (2) to top up the quantity to 190g in weight.
4. Pour barley milk mixture into the bread pan.
Followed by raw sugar and salt;
15g beaten egg;
dig a hole, and pour in the instant dry yeast.
5. Place the bread pan into the bread machine.
6. Select "5" Sweet Bread Function, select desired crust colour, and press "Start".
This step 7 is optional, you may leave the dough in the bread pan till baking cycle completes. By shaping the dough, you'll get a more uniform loaf and minimize the appearance of conspicuous air sacs within the loaf.
7. When the countdown timer appears at 1:55 (1 hour after started the "Sweet Dough" program), take out the dough and shape it into a ball.
Sprinkle some bread flour over the surface of the dough.
Remove the kneading blade, and place the dough back to the bread pan
As the dough maybe sticky, it is advisable to handle it with a pair of disposable gloves.
8. When the countdown timer shows at 1:05, apply a thin coat of beaten egg over the surface. Be careful not to let the beaten egg touch the sides of the bread pan.
9. When the loaf rises too close to the window, to avoid having an untanned top, cover the window with a small piece of aluminum foil.
10. When the baking cycle is over, transfer the loaf to a cooling rack.
Allow the bread to cool down completely before slicing it. Enjoy :)
Barley milk bread with homemade strawberry blueberry jam ^_^