The pandan leaf lent the sweet aroma; while the barley provided the moisture; and the rye flour added dietary fiber to this delicious bread loaf :)
Yield: 3 mini loaves in a 30Lx10Wx9Hcm mould
Raw dough weight: 516g
70g boiled barley pearls 熟薏仁
125g fresh milk 鲜奶
2g pandan leaf (1 leaf) 香兰叶
35g raw sugar 黄糖
1/4 tsp salt 盐
15g beaten egg 蛋液
25g coconut/vegetable oil 椰油/植物油
225g bread flour 高筋面粉
25g rye flour* 黑麦面粉*
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast 即发干酵母
* can be replaced by wholemeal or cake flour 可由全麦或低筋面粉取代
Some beaten egg 蛋液
1. Boil barley with candied winter melon strips and pandan leaf.
2. Collect 70g barley pearls and blend with 100g milk and 2g of pandan leaf.
3. Add about 25g of fresh milk to (2) to top up the quantity to 190g in weight.
4. Pour barley milk mixture into the bread pan.
Followed by raw sugar and salt;
15g beaten egg;
dig a hole, and pour in the instant dry yeast.
5. Place the bread pan into the bread machine.
7. When the dough is ready, lift the bread pan out of the bread machine.
8. Sprinkle some bread flour over the surface of the dough, and transfer it to a floured work top. Press down to release the trapped air.
As the dough maybe sticky, it is advisable to handle it with a pair of disposable gloves.
10. Shape the 3 doughs into balls, coat with some flour, and place in the mould lightly coated with butter at both ends, and lined with parchment paper.
11. Spray some water and transfer the dough into a closed oven. Allow the dough to proof for about 50 minutes.
12. When the tops of the dough almost reach the brim of the loaf pan, remove the dough out of the oven. Start to preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius.
13. Brush a thin coat of egg wash over the top of the dough.
14. Bake the bread dough in the oven at 170 degree Celsius for about 19 to 20 minutes, or till the top turns golden.
15. Remove the bread from the oven and lift out the bread onto a cooling rack.