A soft coffee milk bun filled with some butterscotch chips best enjoy with chunks of cold salted butter. Yummy 😋
Yield: 10 long buns
Baking tray size: 28x19x2 cm
Raw dough weight: 538g
Baking temperature: Preheat oven to 200℃ for 10 minutes, bake at lower rack, at 190℃ for 10 minutes, lower to 170℃ for 8 minutes, off oven and bake for about 2 minutes.
200g bread flour
25g superfine wholegrain flour/plain flour
45g raw sugar
3g instant dry yeast
5g full cream milk powder
2g instant coffee powder
5g hot water
20g evaporated milk
10g condensed milk
1/2 tsp coffee oil, optional
40g natural yeast/sourdough, 100% hydration*
29g yudane dough^
110g low fat coffee milk
2g low sodium salt
30g unsalted butter, softened
50g butterscotch chip
some beaten egg as egg wash before baking
|Combine Ingredient B in a small glass|
* 40g natural yeast can be replaced by 20g each of bread flour and water + 1/8 tsp instant dry yeast. Let the mixture stands for about 1 hour or more till double in volume, before use. You can also keep the mixture in the fridge overnight and thaw it for 1 hour before use.
^ 29g yudane dough is prepared by combining 15g of bread flour with 15g of very hot or boiling water into a sticky dough. Wrap the yudane dough in cling wrap, and cool down before use. Use a silicone spatula to scrape out the sticky yudane dough from the cling wrap.
1. Knead the dough following your preferred method.
For my method, you can refer to my recipe Yudane Milk Bread. After kneading the dough to window pane stage,
|Mix Ingredient A together|
|Add Ingredient D|
|Add Ingredient E|
|Window pane stage|
Shape the dough into a ball, spray some water over, cover with a lid, and let it proof for about 60 minutes, or till double in size.
60 minutes later 👇
2. Invert out the dough onto a floured work top. Deflate and divide into 10 portions.
Shape into 10 balls and rest for 15 minutes.
3. Roll out a dough into an oval shape.
Add about 5g butterscotch chips over.
Fold in the two shorter wings towards the middle.
Fold up again, and pinch to seal the joining edges.
Shape into an cigar shape.
4. Place the shaped dough in a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Let the shaped dough undergo second proofing in a cold oven for about 30 minutes.
30-minute proofing later 👇
5. Start to preheat oven to 200℃ for 10 minutes.
Apply egg wash over the shaped dough about 5 minutes before baking.
Use a pair of small scissors to snip 3 sets of double lines over the shaped dough surface. This step is optional.
6. Bake at lower rack, at 190℃ for 10 minutes, lower to 170℃ for 8 minutes, off oven and bake for about 2 minutes.
Transfer the baked bun out of oven and cool over a wire rack.
Let the buns cool down a while before enjoying 😋