This is a quick recipe for making a 1 to 2-persons cottage pie or Sheperd's pie by using a frozen hamburger beef patty, instant mashed potato powder, and bake in an air fryer for 12 minutes. The seasoned hamburger patty also saved on adding seasonings to the meat-filling.
The butter-flavoured instant mashed potato powder not only cut down the trouble for having to cook and mash the potatoes, but also minimized the work for having to add butter and seasonings to it. The short-coming was I have no control over the salt used in the mashed potato. I think I would prefer a plain instant mashed potato powder to a seasoned one 😟
I think the air fryer really helped to shorten the baking time for giving the mashed potato a golden crust in just 12 minutes 😃
Serving: 1~2 persons
Heat resistant glass pan: 12x12x4 cm (I bought it from Daiso)
Equipment: air fryer
40g onion, cut finely
3g garlic, cut finely
20g carrot. diced
30g long bean/green peas, diced
15g steamed corn kernels
1 frozen hamburger beef patty, 105g
5g raw sugar
5g light soy sauce
10g tomato paste
5g all-purpose flour
70g hot water
A few shakes of freshly ground black pepper
50g instant mashed potato powder, butter & herb flavour/other flavour
200g boiling water
10g unsalted butter, melted
1. Lightly grease a glass baking pan (12x12x4 cm) with rice bran oil. Set it aside.
2. Add about 1 tsp of rice bran oil to a hot pan or pot. Stir fry onions and garlic till fragrant.
3. Add the cold hamburger beef patty, and pan fry till the minced beef starts to loosen from the patty.
4. Add the diced carrot and long beans, and continue to stir fry till the carrot has softened.
5. Push the ingredients to the sides and create a well in the center. Add raw sugar, light soy sauce, and tomato paste to the well, and wait for the condiments to bubble. Mix the ingredients with the bubbled condiments.
6. Sprinkle all-purpose flour to the meat filling, and mix well.
Add steamed corn kernels to the meat-filling.
7. Mix in 70g hot water to the meat-filling
Stir-fry till the meat-filling has absorbed most of the liquid and thickened.
8. Add some freshly ground black pepper to the meat-filling. Remove from the stove and set it aside.
9. Pour instant mashed potato powder to a bowl of boiling water. Stir to mix, and let it stands for about 5 minutes.
10. Pour the hot meat-filling to the prepared glass baking pan,
followed by the mashed potato as the top layer. Use a spoon to spread out the mashed potato, and use a fork to make some line patterns over the mashed potato surface.
11. Spoon melted unsalted butter over the mashed potato surface.
12. Bake in a preheated air fryer at 180℃ for about 12 minutes, or till the surface has browned, and the meat-filling was bubbling under the mashed potato.
13. Remove from the air fryer and cool down for about 10 minutes before digging in. Enjoy 😋